Stuck on a Water Tower Pressure Problem: Dynamic or Static?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between static and dynamic pressure in a water system and the concept of hydraulic multiplication. The conversation also poses a question about the force exerted on a small piston when a large piston is pushed down with a certain force.
Idea04
i'm stuck on a problem. Let's say you have a large water tower. and the pressure is basically static pressure from the weight of the water. But when the water starts moving through pipes is the pressure then dynamic pressure? In which would you have to calculate the pressure from 1/2 density of water times velocity ^2.

And another thing, I was studying hydraulic multiplication briefly. What I studied was you have a 2 inch diameter piston moving nine inches downward with a hundred pounds force. And it pushes a 6 inch diameter piston upward 1 inch with 900 pounds force. My question is if you pushed down the large piston with a hundred pounds force, then what kind of force will the small piston get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Idea04 said:
i'm stuck on a problem. Let's say you have a large water tower. and the pressure is basically static pressure from the weight of the water. But when the water starts moving through pipes is the pressure then dynamic pressure? In which would you have to calculate the pressure from 1/2 density of water times velocity ^2.
Bernoulli's principle applies. Pressure is a measure of the energy density of the fluid. Pressure can be converted to kinetic energy density (KE/unit volume), in which case the pressure must decrease by the amount of the increase in kinetic energy density.

And another thing, I was studying hydraulic multiplication briefly. What I studied was you have a 2 inch diameter piston moving nine inches downward with a hundred pounds force. And it pushes a 6 inch diameter piston upward 1 inch with 900 pounds force. My question is if you pushed down the large piston with a hundred pounds force, then what kind of force will the small piston get.
I think you can figure that out. Put a 900 lb downward force on the large piston. and a 100 lb downward force on the small piston. Does either piston move? What is the force being exerted by the large piston, then, on the small one? What is the force exerted by the small on the large?

AM

I would first like to clarify the difference between dynamic and static pressure. Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid when it is not in motion, while dynamic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid when it is in motion. In the case of a water tower, the pressure at the bottom of the tower would be considered static pressure as it is solely due to the weight of the water above it. Once the water starts moving through pipes, the pressure would become dynamic as the water is now in motion.

To calculate the dynamic pressure, you would indeed use the formula 1/2 density of water times velocity^2. This is because the velocity of the water is what causes the pressure to change.

Regarding the hydraulic multiplication problem, it is important to note that the force exerted by a fluid is equal to its pressure multiplied by its area. In this case, the force exerted by the smaller piston would be 900 pounds, as it has a larger surface area and therefore experiences a greater pressure from the fluid. This is known as the principle of Pascal's law, which states that pressure applied to a fluid in a closed container is transmitted equally to all parts of the container.

I hope this helps in understanding the concepts of static and dynamic pressure, as well as the principle of hydraulic multiplication. If you have any further questions or difficulties with the problem, please feel free to ask for clarification.

1. What is a water tower pressure problem?

A water tower pressure problem refers to a situation where the water pressure in a water tower is either too high or too low, causing issues with the distribution of water to homes and buildings.

2. What is the difference between dynamic and static pressure?

Dynamic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid in motion, while static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. In the case of a water tower, dynamic pressure would refer to the pressure of the water flowing out of the tower, while static pressure would refer to the pressure of the water when it is not flowing (i.e. when the water is sitting in the tower).

3. How does a water tower maintain water pressure?

A water tower maintains water pressure through the use of gravity. The tower is filled with water, which creates a downward force of pressure on the water below it. This pressure is what allows the water to flow out of the tower and through pipes to reach homes and buildings.

4. What can cause a water tower pressure problem?

A water tower pressure problem can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in weather or temperature, damage to the water tower or pipes, and changes in water usage. It can also be caused by issues with the water distribution system, such as clogged pipes or malfunctioning valves.

5. How can a water tower pressure problem be solved?

The solution to a water tower pressure problem will depend on the specific cause. In some cases, adjusting the valves or repairing damaged pipes may be necessary. In other cases, the water tower may need to be drained and refilled, or a new water tower may need to be built. It is important to consult with experts, such as engineers or water utility professionals, to determine the best course of action.