Painleve orbits in Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the success of writing the orbits of the Schwarzschild metric in "Cartesian" coordinates and the next step of computing the orbits for Painleve coordinates. The Java applet now includes the Newton and Schwarzschild differential equations and the goal is to also include tachyons. The conversation also mentions a paper on the web that presents a new form of the Kerr solution in Painleve form and provides a simplified equation for the orbits. There is discussion about partial derivatives and the need to adjust initial velocities for the orbits to match relativity.

Is Carl going to find the Painleve orbits in Cartesian DE form?

• No, and he didn't get the Schwarzschild orbit DE right either.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the Painleve orbits will be very difficult.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
CarlB
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
With the success of my effort to write the orbits of the Schwarzschild metric in "Cartesian" coordinates, (see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=126996 ) it is now time to compute the orbits for Painleve coordinates. When I'm done, I will have an applet that allows the computation of orbits for not just massive and massless particles in the Newton, Einstein/Schwarzschild, and Einstein/Painleve theories, but also tachyons.

The Java applet now has the Newton and Schwarzschild differential equations:
http://www.gaugegravity.com/testapplet/SweetGravity.html [Broken]

To write the Painleve orbits as a simple differential equation, I again begin with the Painleve metric in Cartesian coordinates. It turns out that there is a paper on the web that tells how to get the Kerr metric (i.e. rotating black hole) into Painleve form in a particularly elegant way, and this paper conveniently includes the Kerr metric in Painleve form in Cartesian coordinate form:

A New Form of the Kerr Solutions
Chirs Doran, Cambridge Geometry Group
A new form of the Kerr solution is presented. The solution involves a time coordinate which represents the local proper time for free-falling observers on a set of simple trajectories. Many physical phenomena are particularly clear when related to this time coordinate. The chosen coordinates also ensure that the solution is well behaved at the horizon. The solution is well suited to the tetrad formalism and a convenient null tetrad is presented. The Dirac Hamiltonian in a Kerr background is also given and, for one choice of tetrad, it takes on a simple, Hermitian form.
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9910099

Equation (7) of the above paper is the Kerr metric in Painleve form. After removing the rotating part by setting a=0, and normalizing the mass by setting M=1, and eliminating the z coordinate is:

[tex]ds^2 = \left(1 -\frac{2}{r}\right)dt^2 -\frac{\sqrt{8}}{r^{1.5}}(xdx+ydy)dt -dx^2 -dy^2.[/tex]

This is a particularly simple equation (!) and will give very simple equations of motion. Following the method of extremizing the integral of proper time over coordinate time, I need to compute "I" and its various partial derivatives. To make the calculations easier, it helps to factor them so that I can count powers of the radius in the denominator. Because the Painleve metric uses a sqrt(r), it makes sense to count powers in sqrt(r) instead of r, and so I write the equation in [tex]w=\sqrt{r} = (x^2+y^2)^{0.25}[/tex] rather than r. The result for I and its needed partial derivatives are simply:

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
I &=& (w(w^2-2) - \sqrt{8}(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-w^3(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2))/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial x}\right) &=& (2xw +\sqrt{18}x(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-\sqrt{8}\dot{x}w^4)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial y}\right) &=& (2yw +\sqrt{18}y(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-\sqrt{8}\dot{y}w^4)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial \dot{x}}\right) &=& (\sqrt{8}x-2w^3\dot{x})/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial \dot{y}}\right) &=& (\sqrt{8}y-2w^3\dot{y})/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{x}^2}\right) &=& -2w^3/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{y}^2}\right) &=& -2w^3/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{x}\dot{y}}\right) &=& 0\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial x\dot{x}}\right) &=& (x^2-\sqrt{8}y^2)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial y\dot{y}}\right) &=& (y^2-\sqrt{8}x^2)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial x\dot{y}}\right) &=& 0\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial y\dot{x}}\right) &=& 0
\end{array}[/tex]

In the above, I've left some factors of w in place so that I can count powers easier later on. No less than three of the derivatives are zero, and two more are constants. This is far simpler than the Schwarzschild partial derivatives of post #37:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1072836&postcount=37

I think this is going to be simpler than I expected. After I'm done, I may go back and redo the calculation with the full on Kerr metric.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Counting powers of w in the denominators, I see that A, B, D and E each will have w^6 in their denominators, while C and F will have w^10. I can therefore ignore all the w's in the deonminators of the above partial derivative, and just add a w^4 = r into the denominator of the final result. With this modification, the partial derivatives are all in polynomial form and can be worked on by MAXIMA with ease. The resulting program is:

ii:w*(w^2-2)-sqrt(8)*(x*xx+y*yy)-w^3*(xx^2+yy^2);
didx:2*x*w+sqrt(18)*x*(x*xx+y*yy)-sqrt(8)*xx*w^4;
didy:2*y*w+sqrt(18)*y*(x*xx+y*yy)-sqrt(8)*yy*w^4;
didxx:sqrt(8)*x-2*w^3*xx;
didyy:sqrt(8)*y-2*w^3*yy;
d2idxx2:-2*w^3;
d2idyy2:-2*w^3;
d2idxxdyy:0;
d2idxxdx:x^2-sqrt(8)*y^2;
d2idyydy:y^2-sqrt(8)*x^2;
d2idxxdy:0;
d2idyydx:0;
aa:ii*d2idxx2-0.5*didxx^2;
bb:ii*d2idxxdyy-0.5*didxx*didyy;
cc:(0.5*didxx*didx-ii*d2idxxdx)*xx+(0.5*didxx*didy-ii*d2idxxdy)*yy+ii*didx;
dd:ii*d2idxxdyy-0.5*didyy*didxx;
ee:ii*d2idyy2-0.5*didyy^2;
ff:(0.5*didyy*didy-ii*d2idyydy)*yy+(0.5*didyy*didx-ii*d2idyydx)*xx+ii*didy;
xxxn:bb*ff-cc*ee;
yyyn:cc*dd-aa*ff;
denom:expand(bb*dd-aa*ee);

The result doesn't reduce without hand cranking. I got:
[tex]denom = -4w^3(\sqrt(2)(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})(8w^4 + 4w^6(\dot{x}^2+y^2))+w^9(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+1) + 16w^3(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})^2))[/tex]

I'm still working on the numerator (i.e. xxxn)...

Carl

Last edited:
I couldn't get the equations to factor, and when I simulated it, it was awful. Knowing there had to be an error, I quickly found that the second derivatives were wrong. The correct values appear to be:

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
I &=& (w(w^2-2) - \sqrt{8}(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-w^3(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2))/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial x}\right) &=& (2xw +\sqrt{18}x(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-\sqrt{8}\dot{x}w^4)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial y}\right) &=& (2yw +\sqrt{18}y(x\dot{x}+y\dot{y})-\sqrt{8}\dot{y}w^4)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial \dot{x}}\right) &=& (\sqrt{8}x-2w^3\dot{x})/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial I}{\partial \dot{y}}\right) &=& (\sqrt{8}y-2w^3\dot{y})/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{x}^2}\right) &=& -2w^3/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{y}^2}\right) &=& -2w^3/w^3\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial \dot{x}\dot{y}}\right) &=& 0\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial x\dot{x}}\right) &=& \sqrt{2}(x^2-2y^2)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial y\dot{y}}\right) &=& \sqrt{2}(y^2-2x^2)/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial x\dot{y}}\right) &=& \sqrt{18}xy/w^7\\
\left(\frac{\partial^2 I}{\partial y\dot{x}}\right) &=& \sqrt{18}xy/w^7
\end{array}[/tex]

These numbers simulate to give [more] reasonable orbits. (I have not yet released the updated Java as I expect MAXIMA to succeed in factoring the equations and simplifying the DE to get it into rational form.) But I think that there is yet another error. My suspicion is in the form of the Painleve metric; I will check that next.

And I realized that I can't expect the orbits to match relativity exactly as the initial velocities need to be adjusted. I think I should include this.

Carl

Last edited:
Chris Hilbert (CH) has taken an interest in this thread, and has posted some comments on it on my Wikipedia talk page. It's still unclear if CH will be joining PF, though I'm hoping he will - he apparently has some privacy concerns.

In the meantime, his (CH) comments are available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pervect

pervect,

I can't get the above equations to make decent orbits. They look vaguely relativistic but they don't conserve energy (gasp). They tend to spiral into the center, even when they have way more than enough angular momentum to avoid that fate.

Furthemore, the equations don't reduce like I expect them to. The conversion from polar to Cartesian should be something like this:

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\ddot{x} &=& d(d(r\cos(\theta))/dt)/dt \\
&=& d(\cos(\theta)\dot{r}-r\sin(\theta)\dot{\theta})/dt\\
&=& \cos(\theta)\ddot{r}-r\sin(\theta)\ddot{\theta}
-2\sin(\theta)\dot{r}\dot{\theta}-\cos(\theta)(\dot{\theta})^2\\
&=& \frac{x\ddot{r}}{r}-y\ddot{\theta}
-2\frac{y\dot{r}\dot{\theta}}{r}-\frac{x(\dot{\theta})^2}{r}\\
&=&(x\ddot{r} -yr\ddot{\theta}-2y\dot{r}\dot{\theta}-x(\dot{\theta})^2)/r
\end{array}[/tex]

and

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\dot{x} &=& \cos(\theta)\dot{r} -r\sin(\theta)\dot{\theta})\\
&=&(x\dot{r}-yr\dot{\theta})/r
\end{array}[/tex]

and one sees that the Cartesian version of the equations of motion should have a few more power of r in the denominator but be otherwise no more complicated than the Polar coordinate version.

Now MAXIMA tells me that the forms I have for numerator and denominator do not divide like this. And I'm fairly sure that this is the case. But on the other hand, some of the orbits that the computer produces look a lot like a division by zero.

Carl

Last edited:

1. What are Painleve orbits in Cartesian coordinates?

Painleve orbits in Cartesian coordinates refer to the trajectories of a point mass in a gravitational field, where the equations of motion are derived from the Painleve equations. These equations describe the motion of a point mass under the influence of a central force, such as that of the sun in our solar system.

2. What makes Painleve orbits unique?

Painleve orbits are unique because they are non-periodic, meaning that the trajectory of the point mass does not repeat itself in a predictable pattern. This is in contrast to other types of orbits, such as circular or elliptical orbits, which are periodic and follow a predictable path.

3. How are Painleve orbits calculated?

Painleve orbits are calculated using the Painleve equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a point mass under a central force. These equations can be solved numerically using computer simulations or analytically for simplified systems.

4. What are the applications of Painleve orbits?

Painleve orbits have applications in celestial mechanics, as they can be used to model the motion of objects in the solar system and other gravitational systems. They are also used in studies of chaotic systems and nonlinear dynamics.

5. Are Painleve orbits observable in real systems?

Yes, Painleve orbits have been observed in real systems, such as the motion of comets and asteroids in our solar system. However, due to their non-periodic nature, they may be difficult to predict and study in detail.