Bullet Strikes A Block Of Wood

In summary, a 10 gram bullet with a horizontal speed of 400m/s penetrates 12 cm into a block of wood. To find the frictional force, the work energy theorem was used. However, the time it takes for the bullet to come to rest is still unknown. The acceleration caused by the frictional force must be determined to find the time. The book suggests the answer is 600 microseconds.
brick06
A 10 gram bullet with a horizontal speed of 400m/s hits a block of wood and penetrates 12 cm.
a. what is the frictional force?
b.how long does it take the bullet to come to rest

I have the answers but cannot figure out how to get there. I set my initial velocity to 400 m./s, making my final velocity 0... any help would be great, I am going nuts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not ever double post!
Let the moderators take care of misplaced post.
I've given you a hint in your first thread.

okay i used the work energy theorem to find the friction force,and my other thread has disappeared. So what should i use now to find the time it takes to stop, when i tried i got 12 seconds, but that does not seem right whatsoever

btw the back of the book says the answer should be 600 mu seconds

Well, assuming the forceyou've found is constant over time, what acceleration does it induce?

What is a bullet strike on a block of wood?

A bullet strike on a block of wood is when a bullet makes contact with a wooden block, causing damage to the block and possibly penetrating through it.

What factors affect the damage caused by a bullet strike on a block of wood?

The factors that affect the damage caused by a bullet strike on a block of wood include the velocity of the bullet, the caliber of the bullet, the type of wood, and the distance the bullet traveled before hitting the block.

How does the type of wood affect the damage caused by a bullet strike?

The type of wood can affect the damage caused by a bullet strike in several ways. Soft woods, such as pine or cedar, are more likely to splinter and break apart upon impact, while harder woods, like oak or maple, are more likely to resist penetration and maintain their structural integrity.

What is the relationship between bullet velocity and damage to a wooden block?

The higher the velocity of the bullet, the more damage it is likely to cause to a wooden block. This is because a higher velocity means the bullet has more energy and is able to transfer more force onto the block upon impact.

Can a bullet strike on a block of wood be used to determine the velocity of the bullet?

Yes, a bullet strike on a block of wood can be used to estimate the velocity of the bullet. By measuring the depth of penetration and comparing it to the known characteristics of the bullet and wood, scientists can calculate the approximate velocity at which the bullet was traveling.