3D shapes with perfect polygons

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible ways to calculate the minimum number of regular polygons needed to form a complete 3D shape. The person also questions the angle needed for the corners of pentagons to fit together and whether a single regular polygon can approximate a sphere. It is mentioned that there are only a limited number of polyhedra that can be formed from congruent regular polygons, with the possibility of getting more with different types of regular polygons.
scott_alexsk
Hello, (edit should be regular polygons in title)

I have been thinking a lot recently about 3D shapes formed by 2D regular polygons. I was asking myself if there would be any way to calculate the minimium number of regular polygons to form a complete 3D shape. It is fairly easy with an equilateral triangle, which requires 4 sides, and for a square, with 6, but when I got to pentagons many problems arised.

For one I was trying to calculate the angle the corners of 3 pentagons would have to be placed up agaisnt each other relative to a plane (see drawing). I ended up just assuming that the angle was 12, though I really have no idea, and continued with my estimates. So assuming that x (in the diagram) is 12 degrees, then I can calculate that the angle of each face to the other is about 156 degrees. With 156 I found the number of sides of a ploygon with those angles to be 15. From there I guesstimated that a pentagon forming a 3D shape by itself must have a minimum of around 80 faces.

Now I have several questions. Is my assumption that the angle x is 12, correct, if not how do I preform a correct calculation? Also what is the true number of sides a regular pentagon must have to form a 3D shape? Is there an equation which can identify the number of faces required for certain polygons to form 3d shapes? Finally, is there any way a single regular ploygon can approminate a sphere? Beyond a hexagon it is impossible to form 3D shapes since the measure of internal angles goes beyond 120, which means 3 corners cannot intersect.

Thanks,
-scott

Hopefully you can read this.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I knew there would be only a few. But I still have one question. What is the angle that 3 corners of a pentagon have to be bent relative to a plane, (see drawing) to fit together?

Thanks,
-scott

I can't see the drawing because it hasn't been approved yet :tongue2:. If you're talking about the angle I assume you're talking about then there is an expression for it on that page (search for "dihedral angle").

Thanks for the links and info Data.

-scott

Data said:
The number of (convex) polyhedra you can get out of congruent regular polygons is quite limited (there are only 5).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid.

If you allow more than one type of regular polygon, you can get a few more. Look up: Archimedean solids.

1. What are perfect polygons?

Perfect polygons are 2-dimensional shapes with straight sides and angles. They are also known as regular polygons, and include shapes such as squares, triangles, and hexagons.

2. How many sides and angles do perfect polygons have?

Perfect polygons have a fixed number of sides and angles, depending on the shape. For example, a square has 4 sides and 4 angles, while a hexagon has 6 sides and 6 angles.

3. What is the difference between a 3D shape and a perfect polygon?

A 3D shape is a solid figure that has 3 dimensions - length, width, and height. A perfect polygon, on the other hand, is a 2-dimensional shape with straight sides and angles. While 3D shapes can have perfect polygon faces, they are not limited to only perfect polygons.

4. How are the interior angles of a perfect polygon calculated?

The interior angles of a perfect polygon can be calculated using the formula (n-2) x 180, where n is the number of sides. For example, a square has 4 sides, so its interior angles would be (4-2) x 180 = 360 degrees.

5. Can perfect polygons be found in nature?

Yes, perfect polygons can be found in nature. For example, honeycombs are made up of hexagons, and snowflakes often have hexagonal shapes. Many crystals also have perfect polygon shapes.