Analog Signal Meters for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement

In summary, the customer is looking for a signal meter that can display analog outputs of rotational velocity and angle in a similar way to an oscilloscope. They are building a test machine and need a meter to show the outputs of the tests. They are open to recommendations and mention that there are multifunction meters available with an oscilloscope function, but they may be expensive. They also mention a cheaper alternative, a Radio Shack Digital Multimeter with an RS232 output to a sound card for a slow oscilloscope-like display on a computer.
zekester
Is there any kind of signal meter that can take an analog output of rotational velocity, angle etc. and show it in its full form. If there is meters like this could you recommend a few? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean like a tachometer shows RPM? Or just an angle sensor? Do you have a specific application in mind that will help us help you out?

Be more specific please. Not sure what you are attempting to accomplish.

basically i want a meter that will show a signal similar to the way an oscilloscope would, with time on the x-axis and the output on the other. I don't think it really needs to show the actual angle as the output on an angle sensor would be voltage and that would correspond to an angle, i think. i am building a test machine for a certain application and i need to know if signal meters would be able to sufficiently show the outputs of the tests.

I for one, still don't know what you want.

They do sell multifunction meters with an oscilloscope function, if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Analog Signal Meter for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement?

An Analog Signal Meter for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement is a device that measures the rotational speed and angle of a rotating object using analog signals. It typically consists of a display screen, sensors, and circuitry to convert the analog signals into readable values.

2. How does an Analog Signal Meter measure rotational velocity?

An Analog Signal Meter uses sensors such as tachometers, encoders, or resolvers to detect the rotational speed of an object. These sensors produce analog signals that are then converted into digital signals by the circuitry of the meter. The digital signals are then displayed on the screen as the rotational velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between an Analog Signal Meter and a Digital Signal Meter?

The main difference between an Analog Signal Meter and a Digital Signal Meter is the type of signals they measure. Analog Signal Meters measure analog signals, which continuously vary in voltage or current, while Digital Signal Meters measure digital signals, which are discrete values represented by binary digits (0 and 1).

4. How accurate are Analog Signal Meters for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement?

The accuracy of an Analog Signal Meter for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement depends on the quality of the sensors and circuitry used. High-quality meters can have an accuracy of up to 0.1% of the full-scale reading. However, factors such as external interference, temperature, and aging of components can affect the accuracy over time.

5. What are the applications of Analog Signal Meters for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement?

Analog Signal Meters for Rotational Velocity & Angle Measurement are commonly used in various industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and aerospace. They are used to measure the rotational speed and angle of engines, motors, turbines, and other rotating machinery. They are also used in research and development to study the performance of rotating objects and in quality control to ensure the accuracy and precision of rotating components.