Relativity - proton-proton collision

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum mass of X that can be produced when a proton with kinetic energy T = 200MeV collides with a stationary proton in the lab frame. The participants make use of the invariant equation E^2 - P^2 c^2 and the equations for energy and momentum in the center of mass frame. They also apply these concepts to a similar electron-proton collision scenario, using the quadratic equation to solve for the maximum mass of X.
alfredbester
A Proton, [tex]m_{1}[/tex] with Kinetic energy T = 200MeV strikes a stationary proton in the lab frame.
p + p -> p + p + X

what is the maximum mass of X, which can be produced.

I think I need to make use of [tex]E^2 - P^2 c^2[/tex] is invariant.
and
In S: [tex]E = (m_{1} + m_{0})c^2 , p = p_{1}[/tex]
In S ' :

[tex]E^2 - P^2 c^2 = E^2_{1}+ 2m_{0}E_{1}c^2 + m^2_{0}c^4 -T^2 (1) where E_{1} = T + m_{0}c^2[/tex]
I'm not sure what is happening in the centre of mass frame, I thought that the particle would have maximum mass when there was zero K.E i.e [tex]E' = (2m_{0} + m_{x})c^2, p' = 0[/tex] in the lab frame but I got lost when I tried to equate this with (1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the center of mass energy W, using W^2=(T+M+M)^2-p^2.
This can be solved to T in terms of W. Then W=2M+X will give T.

Thanks.

I have a similar question, for electron-proton collision and I'll try to post my full working as I'm not really sure on these problems at all. Could someone check my answer please.

An electron with with total energy E collides with a proton at rest
e + p -> e + p + X, find the maximum possible mass of X making use of invariants.
Masses quoted are all rest masses.

[tex]P_{0} = E / c, p^2 = -m^2 c^2[/tex]
[tex]E_{t} = E + m_{p}c^2 , |p_{t}| = sqrt[{(E^2 / c^2) + m^2_{e}c^2}][/tex]

[tex]E^2_{t} - |p_{t}|^2 c^2 = (m_p + m_e + m_x)^2 c^4 [/tex]
Therefore
[tex]E^2 + 2Em_{p}c^2 + m^2_{p}c^4 - (E^2 - m^2_{e}c^4) =
(m^2_{e} + m^2_{p} + m^2_{x} + 2m_{e}m_{p} + 2m_{e}m_{x} + 2m_{p}m_{x})c^4 [/tex]

Factoring:
[tex]m^2_{x} + 2m_{x}(m_{e}+m_{x}) + 2m_{e}m_{p} = 2Em_{p}c^{-2} [/tex]
[tex]E = T + m_{e}c^2
=> m^2_{x} + 2m_{x}(m_{e}+m_{p}) + 2m_{e}m_{p} = 2[Tm_{p}c^{-2} + m_{e}m_{p}]
=> m^2_{x} + 2m_{x}(m_{e}+m_{p}) - 2Tm_{p} = 0[/tex]
multipled the above by [tex]c^2[/tex], so I can use masses in MeV.

If the initial kinetic energy, T, of the electon is T = 5000meV, [tex]m_{e}[/tex] = 0.511 MeV, [tex]m_{p}[/tex]. Plugging into a quadratic I get [tex]m_{x}[/tex] = 2265MeV. Is this realistic?

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to proton-proton collisions?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between matter, energy, space, and time. In the context of proton-proton collisions, the theory of relativity helps to explain the behavior of particles at high speeds and in high-energy environments.

2. How are proton-proton collisions studied and what can we learn from them?

Proton-proton collisions are studied using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding protons at high energies, scientists can study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. This allows us to gain a better understanding of the structure of the universe and the laws that govern it.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs boson in proton-proton collisions?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that was predicted by the theory of relativity and confirmed by experiments at the LHC. It is responsible for giving particles their mass and is a crucial piece of the puzzle in understanding the fundamental forces of nature. Proton-proton collisions at high energies allow scientists to study the properties of the Higgs boson in more detail.

4. How do scientists ensure the safety of proton-proton collisions?

Extensive safety measures are put in place by scientists and engineers to ensure the safety of proton-proton collisions. Before any experiments are conducted, thorough risk assessments are carried out and strict protocols are followed. The particle accelerators are also designed with multiple fail-safes to prevent any accidents.

5. What are some potential applications of proton-proton collision research?

Proton-proton collision research has many potential applications, including advancements in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as improvements in energy production and technology. By understanding the fundamental particles and forces of the universe, we can also gain insights into new technologies and materials that could benefit society.