What is a Dimension? Exploring the 4th Dimension & Beyond

• Thread starter [ infinite ]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, dimensions are a way to group things together and identify their relative position. Dimensions are relevant to scientific thought because they allow for the study of events as well as the understanding of how the universe works.
[ infinite ]
Hello all-

This is something that has been on my mind ever since I first learned about the fourth dimension and beyond, sometime back in fifth grade. This is simply one of those things that I never really 'got'.

What is a dimension? How does an n-th dimension (where n>3) exist? What exactly are the n-th dimensions (where n>3)? What is the evidence for their existence? How are dimensions relevant to scientific thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
A "dimension" is the number of "labels" (normally numbers but can be other things) necessary to identify something of interest.

If I am working with points on a given line or curve, I could choose any point on the line as a starting point and identify all other points by their distance (positive in one direction, negative in the other) from that point. I can identify each point by a single number- one dimension.

If I am working with points in the plane, surface of a sphere, or some other surface, I can set up a Cartesian coordinate system, or polar coordinates and, either way, identify each point by two numbers-two dimensional.

If I am working with points "in space", I will need three numbers- space is three dimensional.

If I am doing research on spheres, I might label each sphere by its center (I will need 3 numbers to label the center point) and its radius (one more number). That's a "four dimensional" problem.

Going to physics, the basic thing physicists work with is an "event"- something that happens at a specific point at a specific time. Identifying an event requires the 3 numbers to identify the point and one number to identify the time- four numbers, four dimensions. That's why physicists say they work in a "four dimensional space-time continuum".

On the other hand, if I am working on thermodynamics, with a gas of, say N molecules, I might wish to identify the position (3 numbers) and the momentum vector (another 3 numbers) of each molecule as well as the time. I would be working in "6N+1" dimensional space.

Originally posted by [ infinite ]
Hello all-

This is something that has been on my mind ever since I first learned about the fourth dimension and beyond, sometime back in fifth grade. This is simply one of those things that I never really 'got'.

What is a dimension? How does an n-th dimension (where n>3) exist? What exactly are the n-th dimensions (where n>3)? What is the evidence for their existence? How are dimensions relevant to scientific thought?

I wanted to address this question once and for all some time back so I created this web page. See
http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/ma/coord_system.htm

Thanks for the reply, it was really comprehensive and made things much more lucid. Also thanks for the site pmb_phy.

Reading HallsofIvy's reply gave rise to yet another question.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Going to physics, the basic thing physicists work with is an "event"- something that happens at a specific point at a specific time. Identifying an event requires the 3 numbers to identify the point and one number to identify the time- four numbers, four dimensions.

...I understand the 'mattress' analogy of space-time, and how it can be curved. However, can a specific time be 'identified'? Isn't time individual for all particles? How can "one number... identify the time"?

Originally posted by [ infinite ]
Thanks for the reply, it was really comprehensive and made things much more lucid. Also thanks for the site pmb_phy.

Reading HallsofIvy's reply gave rise to yet another question.

...I understand the 'mattress' analogy of space-time, and how it can be curved. However, can a specific time be 'identified'? Isn't time individual for all particles? How can "one number... identify the time"?

It can't, all things are relative. The dimension is used as a way to assign a value to something inherintly infinite. There is no 'one number' to define our position in any dimension unless a zero-point is designated. For example, if I asked you where we were in the X-axis of space, what would you say? Well, assuming you knew the orientation of the X-axis, you would ask where the zero-point is and reply with your distance from that point. To answer your question more specifically, if you define the zero-point of time as the beginning of the universe, we are at approximately 14.5 billion years in the "time" dimension.

1. What is a dimension?

A dimension is a measurable extent of a particular kind, such as length, width, height, or time. In physics, dimensions refer to the number of coordinates needed to specify a point in space. For example, a point on a line can be described using one dimension (length), while a point in space requires three dimensions (length, width, and height).

2. How many dimensions are there?

In our everyday experience, we are familiar with three dimensions: length, width, and height. However, in physics, there are many more dimensions. The most commonly accepted theory is that our universe has 11 dimensions - 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension that we experience, and 7 hidden dimensions that we cannot perceive.

3. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is a theoretical concept that goes beyond our three-dimensional experience. In physics, it is often referred to as time, as it is the fourth coordinate needed to specify a point in space-time. However, some theories suggest that there could be additional spatial dimensions beyond the three we experience, making the fourth dimension a spatial dimension as well.

4. Can we visualize the fourth dimension?

No, we cannot visualize the fourth dimension in the same way that we can visualize the first three dimensions. Our brains are programmed to understand and perceive three-dimensional space, so it is challenging for us to imagine or visualize anything beyond that. However, there are mathematical models and visualizations that can help us understand the concept of the fourth dimension.

5. Are there more dimensions beyond the fourth dimension?

There are various theories in physics that suggest the existence of additional dimensions beyond the fourth dimension. String theory, for example, proposes that there are 10 dimensions, while M-theory suggests there could be 11 dimensions. However, these dimensions are believed to be compactified, meaning they are curled up and not easily detectable in our current state of understanding and technology.