Redefinition of a scalar field

In summary, the author is trying to redefine two scalar fields as linear combinations of each other in order to get standard kinetic terms. However, this introduces second derivatives into the equation which the author doesn't want.
Joey_Joe_Jojo
Hello everyone. I was hoping that someone could possibly help me with a problem I've got.

If you have an action for two independent scalar fields, say A and B (arbitrary functions of (x_mu), both without any zeros), then can I redefine the action in terms of two new scalar fields A and C=AB? Are these two independent variables? I hope they are, but suspect they aren't. Sorry if its a stupid question, I don't know the criteria for two fields to be independent. Any help would be great.

Thank you,

Ste

Physics news on Phys.org
redefining scalar fields as linear combinations of each other is definitely ok, but as products? doubtful... why do I say that? well, I am not so concerned about whether they are independent at this point (however, they may well be indpt??) but more immediate problem is how you going to fix the issue of dimensionality. As you may know the action must be dimensionless, multiplying two fields together changes the dimension and you'll probably need to introduce a dimensionful constant in the definition to counter that which could then lead to renormalisation problem of your theory...(well, I guess QFT is not what you are looking at, r u? ignore this last comment if you are not thinking about QFT) Anyway, all I can say is that regardless whether they are indpt, the first and foremost thing to consider is to make sure that your resultant action is dimensionally correct.

Thanks for the reply. I hadnt considered the dimensionality of the problem to be honest, I've been setting constants to unity in my work, and I was going to restore them at the end. But yeah good point (its definitely a classical calculation so no worries about renormalization.)

I can't make my mind up on the independence of the fields, and whether I've lost a degree of freedom somewhere. I guess I should calculate the propagators, but I really don't want to unless I have to. I've never seen anyone redefine fields in a non linear way before, so I don't know. I can't find any relevant papers/books on the matter.

Thank you,

Ste

I must admit that I haven't thought through this carefully, but at first glance, a product of fields look a lot like an interaction term to me (?)

Well what I've got is an action with kinetic terms that look like

S ~ d (AB) d(AB) + B d(A) d(A)

d = four-derivative. So I've got cross derivative terms in the original variables A and B, i.e. d(A)d(B), which I don't really want. So if I can redefine the fields, in the way I have, then Ill get standard kinetic terms (sort of)

S ~ d(C)d(C) + C/A d(A) d(A),

C = AB.

So that is my problem. Although, thinking about it, I could redefine the cross derivative terms as something like

d(A)d(B) = d(A d(B)) - A dd(B)

and get rid of the divergence term (as you do). Something like that. But then I've got second derivatives in my action, which I don't really want either. Hhhm.

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a concept in mathematics and physics that describes a quantity that has a single value at each point in space. This means that it does not have any direction associated with it, unlike vector fields which have both magnitude and direction.

2. Why is there a need for redefining a scalar field?

Redefining a scalar field allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon being studied. By incorporating new information or variables, the redefinition can provide a more complete representation of the scalar field.

3. How is a scalar field redefined?

A scalar field can be redefined by adding new variables or parameters, such as time or space, to the existing definition. This can also involve adjusting the mathematical equations used to describe the field in order to incorporate the new information.

4. What are some examples of scalar fields?

Some examples of scalar fields include temperature, pressure, and electric potential. These are all quantities that have a single value at each point in space and do not have a direction associated with them.

5. What are the applications of redefining a scalar field?

Redefining a scalar field has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in better understanding and predicting complex systems, as well as improving the accuracy of mathematical models and simulations.