Free C++ Game Source Code - Download Now!

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding open source game code written in C++ and various sources that offer such code. The different genres of games and the potential learning opportunities from studying the code are also mentioned, along with a warning about the complexities of older game code and the benefits of using modern libraries.
powergirl
Source code of Games!

Gaming!

I would like to have some Games..coded in C++...
If someone have those..please post it here for me...please...:shy:

Technology news on Phys.org
powergirl said:
Gaming!

Google is your friend.

powergirl said:
Gaming!

Google is your friend.

For example, some open source games:
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/games.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty, but since games are made up of different components, you might want to consider what part of a game you want to see.

I once found some first person RPG source code written in QBASIC. Looked pretty good actually, although it was only an engine and was crashing often. :smile:

A majority of linux games are open source. You can find source for games in almost all the genres - FPS, RTS, MMORPG, and even the simple games that are text based which you play from the terminal. This is a great way to see C/C++ in action, you can start from the simple text based then work your way up to games such as Cube.

http://www.ubuntugames.org/ [Broken]
Its not in English, but has it points to some open source games.

Please note that a majority of these games also have win32 versions (along with the source).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search for Quake - back in the last century id software released the source code - whicn of course killed the community.

it's written in pure c, none of that c++ garbage.

Excuse you. C++ garbage?

ptabor said:
Do a search for Quake - back in the last century id software released the source code - whicn of course killed the community.

Lots of the functionality of C++ is recreated by hand in this code... better to just use C++ in the first place. :)

Be warned that a lot of the Quake source is highly optimised... there are lots of good tricks to be learned from there though. (The fast approximate inverse square root function is one of my all time favourites)

Also, Quake uses a very powerful software renderer, this means that if you look at the renderer code you will most likely get totally lost. Modern games use 3d hardware accelerated libraries which wrap things up like "draw a triangle" rather than expecting you to change the corresponding pixel values yourself. If you learn how to make a basic OpenGL/Direct3D window and have some reference (internet) at hand, then you already have all of the same rendering power with a faster implementation which is easier to use and requires less code. i.e. If you look at old games, don't copy the renderers, they are usually terrible by today's standards.

Last edited:

1. What is C++?

C++ is a high-level programming language that is widely used in the development of software and applications. It is known for its efficiency, speed, and ability to handle low-level operations, making it a popular choice for game development.

2. How can I use the free C++ game source code?

Once you download the source code, you can open it in a C++ integrated development environment (IDE) such as Visual Studio or Code::Blocks. From there, you can make changes and additions to the code to create your own game.

3. Is the free C++ game source code suitable for beginners?

While the source code may be challenging for beginners, it can serve as a valuable learning tool. By studying and experimenting with the code, beginners can gain a better understanding of C++ and game development in general.

4. Can I use the free C++ game source code for commercial purposes?

It depends on the specific license of the source code. Some may allow for commercial use, while others may have restrictions. Be sure to read the license carefully before using the source code for commercial purposes.

5. Where can I find support or additional resources for using the free C++ game source code?

There are many online communities and forums dedicated to C++ and game development where you can find support and resources. You can also refer to documentation and tutorials for the specific game engine or library used in the source code.