The Effects of Adding/Removing Protons to an Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of removing or adding protons to change the element of an atom. It is noted that removing a proton would require a significant amount of energy and there is uncertainty about whether particle interactions can provide this energy. The concept of nucleons tunneling out of a potential well is also mentioned.
baconbits423
Is it possible to remove a proton from an atom and then as a result will the element of the atom will change?

Would anything else need to be remove to keep an equal balance in an atom, ex. neutron or electrons?

How much radiation would be created by removing a proton.Is more rediation created by adding or subtracting a proton.

Is it possible to add a proton to an atom and change the element of the atom.

Ex. If Carbon has 6 protons and I add 2 would it be Oxygen ?
Ex. If Oxygen has 8 protons and I remove 2 would it be Carbon?
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just started nuclear physics, so my ideas are very hazy.

As I understand it, while in principle there's nothing wrong with ejecting a photon, the energy required to get the proton out of the nucleus is extraordinarily unlikely to be achieved. Nucleons can tunnel out of a potential well in the same way as any other quanta. Alpha particles can be ejected from a nucleus because the binding energy when the alpha forms is sufficient to propel it out of the well.

This means to eject a proton requires energy from some external source. I am not aware of any particle interactions which can exchange the right amount of energy in the right place for this to happen.

Any experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. What happens to an atom when protons are added?

When protons are added to an atom, the atomic number and mass number of the atom will increase. This means that the atom will become a different element with different physical and chemical properties.

2. What are the effects of removing protons from an atom?

Removing protons from an atom will decrease its atomic number and mass number, causing it to become a different element. This change in the number of protons will also affect the atom's stability and reactivity.

3. Can adding protons change an atom's charge?

Yes, adding protons to an atom can change its charge. Protons have a positive charge, so adding them will increase the overall positive charge of the atom. This can result in the atom becoming an ion with a positive charge.

4. How does adding or removing protons affect an atom's nucleus?

Adding or removing protons from an atom's nucleus will change its composition. The nucleus will have a different number of protons and neutrons, which can affect its stability. If the nucleus becomes too unstable, it may undergo radioactive decay.

5. Can the number of protons in an atom be changed naturally?

No, the number of protons in an atom cannot be changed naturally. Protons are fundamental particles and cannot be created or destroyed. Any changes in the number of protons in an atom can only be done through artificial means, such as nuclear reactions.