Beta Disintegration: Nucleus Absorbing Electrons & Positrons

• Thread starter ziad1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a nucleus undergoing beta decay by absorbing an electron, as well as the concept of electron capture. The question is raised whether a nucleus can also absorb a positron and undergo beta decay. While this scenario is possible, it is not commonly observed due to the rarity of positrons and their repulsion by protons in the nucleus.
ziad1985
I was studying Beta decay in my nuclear courses few minutes ago, and something came to my attention.
A nucleus can absorb an electron and undergo a beta decay like this:
p + e- ----> n + neutrino
Is the following one possible?
n + e+ ----> p + anti-neutrino?
where a nucleus absorb an positron and undergo a beta decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether you're talking about beta decay here, since the beta (minus) decay I recall learning was n--->p+e-+ anti-neutrino. This is called beta-minus, since the beta particle emitted (here the electron) is negative. Of course, to this there is a corresponding beta plus decay: p--->n+ e+ +neutrino, however this requires energy, and so cannot occur in isolation, unlike the beta- decay.

What you seem to be describing, p+e- ---> n+neutrino is what I would call "electron capture," where the nucleus captures an orbiting electron. Thus, I don't think that your second scenario would be allowed, since there are no orbiting positrons.

Last edited:
Sorry for that, it's a problem when you know something in a 2nd language, and try to explain it in a third one.
(From French to English, and neither are my maternal language)
What I want to know is :
since p + e- ----> n + neutrino is allowed
is n + e+ ----> p + anti-neutrino allowed?
I know that there is no positrons orbiting, but is that the only reason, or is there something else?
if there is no way for a nucleus to absorb a positron , how about (e+,n) scattering? will it be possible then?

There's really nothing that could forbid a positron capture. It won't happen very often, simply because positrons are rare to begin with and would be repelled by the protons in a nucleus, while lone neutrons decay. However, it should certainly be possible.

What is beta disintegration?

Beta disintegration is a type of nuclear decay in which a nucleus absorbs an electron or a positron, resulting in the transformation of a neutron into a proton or vice versa.

What is the difference between beta minus and beta plus disintegration?

Beta minus disintegration occurs when a nucleus absorbs an electron, resulting in the release of a beta particle (or an electron) and a new proton in the nucleus. Beta plus disintegration, on the other hand, occurs when a nucleus absorbs a positron, resulting in the release of a positron and a new neutron in the nucleus.

What are the implications of beta disintegration in nuclear reactions?

Beta disintegration plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, as it can change the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, leading to the production of new elements. It also releases energy, which can be harnessed for various applications such as nuclear power generation.

How is beta disintegration related to radioactive decay?

Beta disintegration is a type of radioactive decay, along with alpha and gamma decay. It occurs in unstable nuclei that have an excess of either protons or neutrons, and the process of beta disintegration helps these nuclei to become more stable.

What are some practical uses of beta disintegration?

Beta disintegration has various practical applications, such as in nuclear medicine, where radioactive isotopes that undergo beta disintegration are used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. It is also used in carbon dating, where the rate of beta disintegration of carbon-14 is measured to determine the age of organic materials.