Can Amorphous SiO2 React with Metals or Carbon to Produce Nano Sized Particles?

In summary, amorphous SiO2 reaction is the chemical reaction that occurs when amorphous silicon dioxide comes into contact with another substance, resulting in a change in its structure and properties. Amorphous SiO2 is a non-crystalline form of SiO2 with a random atomic arrangement and properties such as high melting point and low electrical conductivity. It can react with other substances through various chemical reactions and has industrial and technological applications. Most amorphous SiO2 reactions are irreversible, but some reversible reactions do occur under certain conditions.
Rasputin
I get amorphous SiO2 (quartz) using planetary ball mill after 20h of milling, although my aim was to get nano sized particles. My question is if I can react it with some metals or carbon, for example if the reaction:
SiO2 + 2C = SiC + CO
will occur.
If anyone can help me to find some literature in internet or some books or articles about amorphous behavior.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try searching using the terms Silica Fume and Carbothermal Synthesis.

Chemisttree thanks a lot, I searched in internet and I will look in some books at my work.

Rasputin

1. What is amorphous SiO2 reaction?

Amorphous SiO2 reaction refers to the chemical reaction that occurs when amorphous silicon dioxide (SiO2) comes into contact with another substance, resulting in a change in its chemical structure and properties.

2. What are the properties of amorphous SiO2?

Amorphous SiO2 is a non-crystalline form of silicon dioxide with a random atomic arrangement. It is a white, odorless, and tasteless solid with a high melting point and low electrical conductivity.

3. How does amorphous SiO2 react with other substances?

Amorphous SiO2 can react with other substances through a variety of chemical reactions, including acid-base reactions, redox reactions, and thermal decomposition reactions. The specific reaction that occurs depends on the nature of the substance it comes into contact with.

4. What are the applications of amorphous SiO2?

Amorphous SiO2 has many industrial and technological applications, including as a raw material for the production of glass, ceramics, and cement. It is also used in the production of electronic devices, such as computer chips and solar cells, due to its unique electrical and thermal properties.

5. Is amorphous SiO2 reaction reversible?

In most cases, amorphous SiO2 reaction is irreversible, meaning that once the chemical structure of SiO2 is changed, it cannot be easily reversed. However, some reversible reactions, such as the hydration of amorphous SiO2 to form silicic acid, do occur under certain conditions.