World's largest guitar - frequency of vibration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the world's largest guitar and the calculation of its frequency of vibration. The given information includes the length of the strings, the wavelength, and the wave speed. The question asks for the relationship between wave speed, frequency, and wavelength, and the answer is that speed equals wavelength multiplied by frequency. The conversation also gives advice on how to properly seek help for problems.
Kimisaishime
I have a problem on my sheet that is confusing me. The problem states The world's largest guitar, which was built by high school students in Indiana, has strings that are 9.0 long. The fundamental vibration that can be induced on each string has a wavelength equal to twice the string's length. If the wave speed in a string is 9.0 x 10 squared m/s what is the frequency of vibration?

The given is f=50.0 Hz L= 9.0 m

My question is where did they get 50.0 Hz when it's not stated in the problem. Or am I reading the problem wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the wavelength and the wave speed. You must calculate the frequency. What relationship ties wave speed to frequency and wavelength?

(I split this off into its own thread.)

um is it the equation speed= wavelength x frequency

Exactly. That's all there is to it.

starting a new thread

FYI: When you need help with a problem, don't tag your question onto an existing thread--start a new one using the "New Topic" button. (Unless you are working on the exact same problem, of course, or one closely related.)

ok thank you

1. What is the world's largest guitar?

The world's largest guitar is the "The Gibson SG" created by The Academy of Science and Technology in Texas, USA. It measures 43 feet, 7.5 inches tall, 16 feet, 5.5 inches wide and weighs around 2,255 pounds.

2. What is the frequency of vibration for the world's largest guitar?

The frequency of vibration for the world's largest guitar is approximately 20 Hz, which is the lowest frequency possible for human hearing.

3. How was the frequency of vibration determined for the world's largest guitar?

The frequency of vibration for the world's largest guitar was determined by using a device called a "tuning fork" which creates a consistent and precise vibration. The guitar's frequency was then measured using a specialized microphone and software.

4. What materials were used to create the world's largest guitar?

The world's largest guitar was made using mostly wood, including 23 layers of plywood for the body and 2x4s for the neck. The strings were made of aircraft cable and the tuning pegs were made of steel. The frets were made of aluminum and the guitar was painted with automotive paint.

5. Is the world's largest guitar playable?

Yes, the world's largest guitar is playable and has been used to play songs such as "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin and "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple. However, due to its massive size and weight, it requires multiple people to play it and cannot be easily transported.