God's Greatness: Logic vs. Faith?

• Thread starter Xclckwrkorrangex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of god and whether or not god would still be considered great if he never created anything. The participants also touch on determinism and the definition of god. One person suggests that god could be seen as a universal gestalt or pantheism, not necessarily a creator or puppeteer.
Xclckwrkorrangex
God is great...?

OK. So let us suppose that god never "created" anything, that "he" made merely existed. Would god still be considered great? Would he be a lesser god than one who might have created the universe? Or maybe for god to be GOD he HAD to create the universe. and doesn't this play into determinism? any thoughts...? and i don't want this to be answered religiously, I'm not looking for that. it's all about logic, right.

Physics news on Phys.org
TYPO FYI: i ment to say that ... let us suppose that god never "created" anything, that "he" HAD merely existed.

Microsoft is great. Is microsoft God?

Depends in the end on your definition of greatness.

Originally posted by Xclckwrkorrangex
TYPO FYI: i ment to say that ... let us suppose that god never "created" anything, that "he" HAD merely existed.

duh! how would he be a god? by definition, god is the big kahuna, creator and master blaster.

if he didn't create, what good is s/he? down with the lazy bugger!

peace,

Originally posted by olde drunk
duh! how would he be a god? by definition, god is the big kahuna, creator and master blaster.

if he didn't create, what good is s/he? down with the lazy bugger!

peace,

There is no definition of god. If you claim to have one, I would like to know what source it is based on.

god

i prefer to think of a universal gestalt that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

pantheism in general terms, if you would.

not a creator or puppeteer.

peace,

1. What is the difference between logic and faith when it comes to understanding God's greatness?

Logic and faith are two different ways of understanding and approaching the concept of God's greatness. Logic relies on reasoning, evidence, and rationality to understand and explain the world, while faith is based on belief and trust in something beyond empirical proof. In the context of God's greatness, logic seeks to analyze and understand the concept through logical arguments and evidence, while faith relies on personal experiences, religious teachings, and spiritual beliefs.

2. Can logic and faith coexist when it comes to understanding God's greatness?

Yes, logic and faith can coexist when it comes to understanding God's greatness. While logic and faith may seem like opposing approaches, they can complement each other in understanding the vastness and complexity of God's greatness. Logic can help provide a rational framework for understanding God's greatness, while faith can offer a deeper, more personal connection to the concept.

3. Is there scientific evidence for God's greatness?

As a scientist, I cannot speak to the existence of God or provide evidence for or against it. Science is based on empirical evidence and the scientific method, which cannot be applied to matters of faith. However, many people believe that the intricacies and complexity of the universe are evidence of God's greatness.

4. How does one reconcile the concept of God's greatness with the existence of suffering in the world?

This is a complex and philosophical question that has been debated for centuries. Some may argue that suffering is a necessary part of God's plan and that it ultimately leads to a greater good. Others may believe that God's greatness lies in how humans overcome suffering and find strength and resilience in the face of adversity. Ultimately, the concept of God's greatness and the existence of suffering is a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

5. Can we ever truly understand the extent of God's greatness?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively. As mere humans, our understanding and perception are limited, and it may be impossible for us to fully comprehend the extent of God's greatness. However, many believe that through faith and spiritual growth, we can come closer to understanding and experiencing God's greatness in our lives.