Can I Find the Height of My Chimney Without Using Expensive Equipment?

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the height of a chimney in the backyard for the purpose of attaching an antenna. The person asking for help is not comfortable with heights and is looking for a way to find the height without using expensive surveying equipment. A solution is suggested to use a simple clinometer to find the angle to the top of the chimney, and then using trigonometry to calculate the height. It is also mentioned that attaching an antenna to a chimney may not be the best idea, and a roof mount may be a better option.
Bernie Hunt
This may be off topic, but a lot of smart and practical people hang out here so maybe someone can help.

I need to find the height of my chimny in my back yard. I'm not wild about heights, so I'd rather not get out a long tape measure and a longer ladder to climb to the top.

All the word problems we did in high school trig gave us all the pieces. Let's say I find a point 20 feet from the base, the 20*tan(x) where x is the angle to the top, is the answer.

How can I find the angle x, without purchasing some expensive surveying equipment?

Is there a better way to find the height?

The application is how height of an antenna I can attach to my chimney. The town says 40', so I need to know how high it is now, so I know how much mast to purchase. Also, when the inspector shows up, I need to prove that is isn't over 40 feet.

Thanks,
Bernie

Engineering news on Phys.org
Excellent idea. I used a framing square from the shop and got 23.25 feet.

Thanks!

Bernie

I'm a little leery of attaching antennas to chimneys.
Chimneys deteriorate after a while.
In any event, I had a rather expensive antenna AND the top of the double flue chimney hit the pavement after 5 years or so.
The chimney itself was more like 25-30 years and looked fine when I put it up, but if you have any cracks in the top cap they go quickly after that.
The mast on this was only about 4 or 5 feet, with the big antenna around 18" with a small one at the top.
If you are going to 40' then you need to guy the mast, which means the chimney needs to be centrally located.
Personally, I'd forget the chimney and go with a roof mount.

What is a real world trig problem?

A real world trig problem is a mathematical problem that involves using the principles of trigonometry to solve a real-life situation. Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

What are some common examples of real world trig problems?

Some common examples of real world trig problems include calculating the height of a building or tree, determining the distance between two objects, and finding the angle of elevation or depression of an object.

Why is trigonometry important in solving real world problems?

Trigonometry is important in solving real world problems because it provides a way to measure and calculate distances and angles that cannot be directly measured. This is useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and navigation.

What are the basic trigonometric functions used in solving real world problems?

The basic trigonometric functions used in solving real world problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles.

How can I apply trigonometry to real world situations?

Trigonometry can be applied to real world situations by first identifying the relevant angles and sides of a triangle in the problem. Then, the appropriate trigonometric function can be used to calculate the missing side or angle. It is also important to consider units of measurement and round appropriately in real world applications.