Which direction is skylight polarized at sunset?

• Thread starter ChickenChakuro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarization
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polarization in skylight, specifically at sunset. The participants mention Rayleigh scattering and how it affects the polarization of light. The possibility of humans being able to detect polarization with the naked eye and the potential use of this in robotic vision systems is also mentioned. It is concluded that at sunset, the light from the sky is horizontally polarized, but if measured from the direction of the sun, it will be vertically polarized due to the scattering of horizontal polarization.
ChickenChakuro
Hi all, can anyone help me understand in which direction skylight would be polarized at sunset, if the sunset was the in the West? I understand Rayleigh scattering, I'm just not sure about this concept.

Science news on Phys.org
Are you suggesting that this "skylight" (as opposed to direct sunlight) that is subject to Rayleigh scattering has some sort of polarization introduced to it as a result? I don't know enough about the phenomenon to confirm or deny that.

cepheid,

Yes, this is what I am getting at. I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me.

I'm not sure of the mechanism, but if your sunglasses are polarised, you need only tilt your head to observe that the light from the sky is also largely polarised.

cesiumfrog said:
I'm not sure of the mechanism, but if your sunglasses are polarised, you need only tilt your head to observe that the light from the sky is also largely polarised.

:confused:

cesiumfrog said:

With training, humans may be able to detect the polarization of skylight with the unaided eye under some conditions (this is a named effect, but unfortunately I can't recall the name). In general engineering terms, however, the human eye is not well designed, so there is considerable interest in producing robotic vision system which can detect and process polarization in addition to sensory modalities such as saturation and hue. The hope is that this will help autonomous "robowarriors" to distinguish between things they should should at and things they should not.

If you look up at sunset, the light will be horizontally polarilzed, because it becomes polarized perpendicular to the plane of the scattering.
If you look toward the sun, you will blind yourself.
But, if you measure the polarization from the direction of the sun,
it will be polarilzed vertically, because the horizontal polarization scatters away.

What is "Polarization of Skylight"?

"Polarization of Skylight" refers to the phenomenon of the sky appearing to have different colors and brightness levels when viewed from different angles. This is caused by the scattering of sunlight by particles in the Earth's atmosphere, which causes the light to become polarized.

What causes the "Polarization of Skylight"?

The "Polarization of Skylight" is caused by the scattering of sunlight by particles in the Earth's atmosphere. These particles, such as dust, water droplets, and gas molecules, scatter light in different directions, resulting in the polarized appearance of the sky.

How does "Polarization of Skylight" affect our perception of the sky?

The "Polarization of Skylight" affects our perception of the sky by causing it to appear different colors and brightness levels when viewed from different angles. This can also affect the way we see other objects in the sky, such as the sun and clouds.

What is the significance of studying "Polarization of Skylight"?

Studying the "Polarization of Skylight" is important for understanding various atmospheric processes, such as cloud formation and climate change. It can also have practical applications in fields such as navigation and remote sensing.

How is "Polarization of Skylight" measured and studied?

"Polarization of Skylight" is measured and studied using instruments such as polarimeters, which can measure the degree and angle of polarization of light. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand and predict the effects of polarized light in the atmosphere.