Question on a book i am reading.

In summary, the example in the book states that for any number x, if x=0 or y is not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z. This means that if y is not 0, then z can be calculated as x divided by y, and if x is 0, then z will also be 0 regardless of y. This concept is often studied in abstract algebra courses.
Leo Duluc
Hi I am reading the book "Introduction to logic and the methodology of deductive sciences" and I'm doing my best on understandig it and so far so good, but I ran to the example of the book: " for any number x, if x=0 or y not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z" I just want somebody to explain the sentential function and what does it mean and please give an example.

thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It means division makes sense.

Leo Duluc said:
Hi I am reading the book "Introduction to logic and the methodology of deductive sciences" and I'm doing my best on understandig it and so far so good, but I ran to the example of the book: " for any number x, if x=0 or y not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z" I just want somebody to explain the sentential function and what does it mean and please give an example.

thank you very much.

If y is not 0, then z= x/y. If x= 0 then you can take z= 0 whatever y is In either case you have a number z such that x= y.z. Or, as DeadWolfe said, "Division makes sense".

"Division makes sense" (to quote the other users).

In a commutative unitary ring R for all non-zero elements that have multiplication inverses. So if a is such an interger then b/a = b*c where c is the multiplicative inverse of b.

What topic is this, and which named course would contain a study of this topic?

Sounds like number theory...

symbolipoint said:
What topic is this, and which named course would contain a study of this topic?

Abstract Algebra.

Leo Duluc said:

thank you very much.

In this particular example, the author is trying to make
points about the scope of the quantifiers (really nothing more).

Clearly, it's an open formula. So as it stands, it asserts nothing definite. It's neither true nor false. Meaning is really not relevant.

Last edited:

1. What is the main theme of the book?

The main theme of a book can vary depending on the reader's interpretation. However, it is often the central idea or message that the author is trying to convey through the story. It can be a lesson, a moral, or a commentary on a specific topic or issue.

2. Who are the main characters in the book?

The main characters in a book are usually the ones who drive the story forward and have the most significant impact on the plot. They are the ones with the most development and are often the focus of the story.

3. What is the setting of the book?

The setting of a book refers to the time and place in which the story takes place. It can include the physical location, the historical period, and the social and cultural context in which the characters exist. The setting can greatly influence the events and characters in the story.

4. What is the conflict in the book?

The conflict in a book is the problem or struggle that the characters face and must overcome in the story. It can be internal, such as a character's inner conflict, or external, such as a conflict with another character or a larger societal issue.

5. What is the author's writing style?

The author's writing style refers to the way they use language to convey their ideas, create a mood, and develop their characters. It can include elements such as the tone, point of view, and use of literary devices. The writing style can greatly impact the reader's experience and interpretation of the book.