Resolving Forces Homework Help ASAP

• Thread starter Sharifullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the conversation revolved around a homework problem involving a truss structure and the method of resolution of forces. The original poster asked for help with finding the method to be used and the figure for the problem. Other users provided helpful hints and suggestions, including looking at moments and using the method of joints. There was also a discussion about the static determinacy of the truss, with the conclusion that it is statically determinant based on the number of members and joints. The conversation also touched on the assumptions made in truss problems, such as the use of pinned connections at joints and the potential for zero force members.
Sharifullah

Homework Statement

Help required please. Method to be used is resolution of forces.

thanks,
sharifullah.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
help required

where is the figure?

The figure was approved by a moderator. You must show an attempt at a solution before anyone can help.

truss problem help

as it can be seen from the figure attached that the truss is symetrically loaded, there fore,i was able to solve for the reactions forces indicated by the arrows pointing upwards.
From the figure,
The method i used is that
Sovling for vertical forcves:

Reaction force1+Reaction force2=7w

" As the truss is symmetrically loaded therefore,"
Reactionforce1=Reactionforce2
"SO,"
Reactionforce1+ Reactionforce1=7w
2(Reactionforce1)=7w
Reactionforce1=3.5w
Similiarly,Reactionforce2=3.5 ("As Reaction1=Reaction2")

Once i found the reaction forces i started with the rigth side of the truss and solved for internal forces in the member using resolution of forces at joints method. Looking into the first joint two angles (30, 60 degree)are given, so i solved for the internal members but at the next joint the angle between the joint and the member is not given and there is no enough info given to derive an angle from. So i was wondering if some one could help with it.

in the next figure where the reaction as been moved from the end to certain distance i cannot figure out the way to solve for reaction and as well as internal forces. I have tried much and then i jumped into asking others so i would kindly be aspecting a help this time. The figure was attached a should be available to all by now.

For the problem in the second figure, in addition to the sum of the reaction forces, one must also look at the sum of the moments.

Pick one of the reaction points as a pivot and look at the sum of the moments about that pivot.

Although not explictly clear from the sketch, the angles between the members are assumed to be either 30, 60, or 90 degrees. There are a few equilateral triangles in there.

Astronuc said:
For the problem in the second figure, in addition to the sum of the reaction forces, one must also look at the sum of the moments.

Pick one of the reaction points as a pivot and look at the sum of the moments about that pivot.
THANKS,FOR THE HINT,ASRTRONUC BUT TO FIND THE MOMENT ABOUT A PIVOT THERE HAS TO BE A DISTANCE GIVEN FROM THE PIVOT TO THE POINT OF APPLICATION OF FORCES BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THINGS GIVEN THERE? A SOLVED THE FIGURE1 BY ASSUMING THE ANGLES FROM THE TRIANGLES AS THERE ARE EQUILATERAL triangles BUT DON'T FIND ANY USEFUL APPLICATION OF THE TRUSS HEIGTH GIVEN IN THE SKETCH. ANY IDEA OF HOW TO PROCEED WITH THE PROBLEM FIGURE 2? wHEN I SOLVED THE 2ND PROBLEM I GOT SOME ANSWERS FOR FEW MEMBERS AND THE REST ARE LOTS OF EQUATION WHICH I COULD NOT RELATE Anyhow TO EACH OTHER TO FIND THE FORCES REMAINING.

Last edited:
I was able to find the internal forces in the member, thanks to the help provided by this active forum. Another question which i have is regarding the static dertermiancy of the system. As it has been asked in the first part of the figure 1(First figure) to find static determiancy of the struture.

I assumed all the jpints within the struture to be rigid and support to be roller supports( having only 1 reation which is vertical, as in the figure). The formula which is being used is
(m+r-f)-2j
m=number of member (19 members)
r=number of rigid joints including supports(11)
f=number of roller supports.(2)
j=number of joints including supports(13)

SO THAT STRUTURE IS STATICALLY INDETERMINANT WITH INDERMINANCY OF 2 DEGREE.am I GOING ON RIGTH TRACK)

THANKS FOR HELP!

Well I never could master that equation for determining determinancy, but if you were able to solve the reactions, and internal member forces by the method of joints, using the ordinary static equilibrium equations, without having to calculate deflections, then the truss is determinate. Also, there are no rigid supports (they are pinned or sliding), and all members are assumed connected by pinned joints.

thanks phanthomjay, u mean if i could solve the whole unknowns within the structure using statics equation(Sum Fx=0 Fy=0 moment=0) then the structure is statically determinant otherwise indeterminant. In this case, as there is no indication whether the truss is pinned member joints can't it be rigid?The supports are sliding as the reaction is single so it is an indication or at least i could justify my assumption in the assignment.

Sharifullah said:
thanks phanthomjay, u mean if i could solve the whole unknowns within the structure using statics equation(Sum Fx=0 Fy=0 moment=0) then the structure is statically determinant otherwise indeterminant. In this case, as there is no indication whether the truss is pinned member joints can't it be rigid?The supports are sliding as the reaction is single so it is an indication or at least i could justify my assumption in the assignment.
In reality, members are seldom truly connected by pins; often there are several bolts on each member at the joints, or gusset plates, or welds, that tend to make the connections more rigid than pinned. However, tests and computer modeling show that the error is generally very small when assuming the members are connected by pins. Whenever you see a truss problem, you can assume pinned connections at the menmber joints, if not otherwise stated. BTW, I found a formula for determining determinancy: if m= 2j-3, the truss is determinant. In your case, m=19 and j =11, so the truss is determinate. That doesn't work all the time, though, especially if there are zero force members.

1. What is the concept of resolving forces in physics?

The concept of resolving forces in physics involves breaking down a single force into its individual components in order to better understand its effects on an object. This is done by using vector analysis and trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of each component force.

2. Why is it important to resolve forces in physics?

Resolving forces is important in physics because it allows us to better understand the impact of a force on an object. By breaking down a force into its components, we can determine the net force acting on an object and predict its motion.

3. How do you resolve forces into their components?

To resolve forces, you must first determine the angle at which the force is acting. Then, using trigonometric functions, you can calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the force. These components can then be added or subtracted to determine the net force.

4. Can you give an example of resolving forces in real life?

One example of resolving forces in real life is when calculating the tension on a rope during a tug-of-war game. By resolving the force of each person pulling on the rope into its horizontal and vertical components, we can determine the overall tension on the rope and predict which team will win.

5. What are some common mistakes when resolving forces?

Some common mistakes when resolving forces include forgetting to consider the direction of the force, using the wrong trigonometric function, and not converting units properly. It is important to double check calculations and pay attention to directions in order to avoid these mistakes.