A fake word from The Simpsons made it into a String paper

In summary, these string theorists used a non-existent word from an episode of "The Simpsons" in a "paper". There is no refereeing or quality control, and this is another blemish in the way the field is being practiced.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I don't know how they hope to get away with it, but I guess in string theory, anything and everything goes, especially with unrefereed "papers".

These string theorists actually used a non-existent word "embiggens" from an episode of The Simpsons (BTW, the movie is hilarious!) in a "paper". I use the word "paper" in quotes because so far, as is a common practice in the field, they tend to simply upload the manuscript onto the e-print ArXiv site and then call it a day. So there's no refereeing, and no journal editors for quality control not only of the content, but also the presentation. That they could get away with silly things like this.

From my perspective, it's another blemish in the way the field is being practiced. D'oh!

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Things like this cause me such pericombobulation.

Is this a paper that was actually put forward for publishing, or was it just put on the arxiv? I reckon the word was put in for some sort of bet!

And, Zz, I agree-- the movie is very funny!

ZapperZ said:
I don't know how they hope to get away with it, but I guess in string theory, anything and everything goes, especially with unrefereed "papers".

These string theorists actually used a non-existent word "embiggens" from an episode of The Simpsons (BTW, the movie is hilarious!) in a "paper". I use the word "paper" in quotes because so far, as is a common practice in the field, they tend to simply upload the manuscript onto the e-print ArXiv site and then call it a day. So there's no refereeing, and no journal editors for quality control not only of the content, but also the presentation. That they could get away with silly things like this.

From my perspective, it's another blemish in the way the field is being practiced. D'oh!

Zz.

Is "embiggen" a sillier word than "quark"? (Follow the first link for subatomic particle to see the origin of the word.)

Of course, the reason an indirect link was preferable was that it uses another "silly" word invented about the same time as "quark" - "disambiguation". "Disambiguation" is an even more ingenious invention since it's used so often in explaining the origin and history of other words that the "noise" makes it almost impossible to find the history and origin of "disambiguation".

Last edited:
What! Embiggens is not a word!

A Nobel prize embiggens even the smallest theorist.

Yes, "embiggen" is certainly sillier than quark. Quark is a name and was made up on purpose. "Embiggen" is an error.

They knew it came from the Simpsons -- it's quite funny :smile:
SA: How did you come across the word embiggen?

SK: I first came across this word in "The Simpsons," a source of knowledge for all serious theoretical physicists. It was used in the sentence "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." So by context I assume it means "to enlarge or expand in size."

russ_watters said:
Yes, "embiggen" is certainly sillier than quark. Quark is a name and was made up on purpose. "Embiggen" is an error.
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

I'd love professor Frink to be my PhD supervisor.

Manchot said:
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Pretupitively congenient, I agree.

Zz, before you, like I, spray your snuff all over your 18th century French Camphorwood tea chest. I think these people might want to consider that it was a joke, put into see if anyone was paying attention, congratulations they were :biggrin:

That'd be my guess anyway. Still even my monocle fell out :smile:

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
BTW, in case people missed it, The Simpsons does have a lot of science and mathematics content, this particular "paper" notwithstanding.

:biggrin:

Zz.
"And this perpetual motion machine she made is a joke! It keeps going faster and faster!

"Lisa, get in here! In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Nelson Muntz said it best when he said,

haha.gif

russ_watters said:

Nonsense. I agree wholeheartedly with the letter written by C.A. Ward in 1884.
New Verbs (6th S. ix. 469) - I am not going to try to settle the question started by Mr. Walford. I believe it to be beyond the power of Prof. Skeat or any other scholar or grammarian to settle what substantive, or even adjective, shall be turned into a verb when the many-mouthed beast takes it into its head to make one. Umpired, in the sense of a launch that carries the umpire, is assuredly not a good coinage. But is there much danger of its going beyond the boating slang of the river? I think not! Cricket has its slang; football has its slang; and lawn tennis has its genteel slang. But fresh slang coming up destroys old slang, and it is this we must look to, and not to grammarians, to rid the dictionaries of the jargon that "neweth every day." Are there not, however, barbarous verbs in all languages? άλλ έμέγάλλνέν άύτούς ό λάός but the people magnified them, to make great or embiggen, if we may invent an English parallel as ugly. After all, use is nearly everything.
- C.A. Ward, Haverstock Hill, Aug, 1884.

However, I would note that Shamit Kachru misused the word in his paper. The proper interpretation of Jebediah Springfield's statement is, "A noble spirit [makes great] the smallest man." If Kachru's usage were correct, I'm sure the word would have been used in a Extenze (edit:corrected product name) commercial by now (or whatever that product is they sell on late night TV).

Last edited:
I can't get over the word in a skin care commercial the other day "your face will become "redefinated". :uhh:

Evo said:
I can't get over the word in a skin care commercial the other day "your face will become "redefinated". :uhh:

That sounds like a commercial that dduardo would have written.

Is there such a surplus of Linux programmers that they're having to moonlight in the creative department of advertising companies?

Since I'm a Biology type I really like Horner's use of 'thagomizer' (stegosaurus' tail dagger deployment) based on a Gary Larson cartoon.

IMO we don't get to define what is is is not a valid "word".
Languages evolve rapidly. russ can hate "embiggen" or not - it won't affect it's utimate fate in English usage.

I personally think 'google' or 'googol' in the math sense is a poor word. But my dislike will not stop embiggen, google, or thagomizer from appearing in refereed journals if the paper is written by someone respected in the field. They get to choose to name something new with a term derived from children's imagination or cartoons. If they see fit.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
I personally think 'google' in the math sense is a poor word.
Do you mean googol?

Take your pick - spelling duzzent count.

1. How did a fake word from The Simpsons make it into a scientific paper?

The fake word, "embiggen", was used in an episode of The Simpsons in 1996 and gained popularity as a satirical term. In 2018, a team of scientists published a paper on string theory and decided to use the word "embiggen" as a placeholder for a real scientific term that did not yet exist. The word was later replaced with the correct term in the final version of the paper, but the use of "embiggen" caught media attention.

2. Was the use of "embiggen" in the paper a mistake or a deliberate choice?

It was a deliberate choice by the scientists to use "embiggen" as a placeholder for a yet-to-be-discovered scientific term. The word was meant to be replaced with the correct term before publication, but it gained widespread attention before the final version of the paper was released.

3. Did the use of "embiggen" in the paper undermine the credibility of the research?

No, the use of "embiggen" did not undermine the credibility of the research. It was simply a playful choice by the scientists and had no impact on the validity or accuracy of the research findings.

4. Has this ever happened before where a fake word has made it into a scientific paper?

It is not common, but there have been instances where fake words or jokes have made their way into scientific papers. In 2017, a physicist used the name of a Star Trek character as a co-author on a paper as a joke. However, these instances do not affect the credibility of the research.

5. Was the use of "embiggen" in the paper a violation of scientific standards?

No, the use of "embiggen" in the paper was not a violation of scientific standards. While it may have been unconventional, it did not affect the integrity of the research or the scientific process. The word was used as a placeholder and later replaced with the correct term in the final version of the paper.