Force and Tension Homework: F, Rope 1 & 2 Tension

In summary, at the top of the rope 1, there is a tension of 61.103N. At the bottom of rope 1, there is a tension of 35.525N. At the top of rope 2, there is a tension of 4.974N.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

The figure below shows two 1.8kg block connected by a rope. A second rope hangs beneath the lower block. Both ropes have a mass of 350g. The entire assembly is accelerated upward at 4.4m/s^2 by force F. a.) What is F? b.) What is the tension at the top end of rope 1? c.) What is the tension at the bottom end of rope 1? d.) What is the tension at the top end of rope 2.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p8-26.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I (again) confused as to what goes into the free body diagrams for each block.

Physics news on Phys.org
As with your other problem, the trick is to first examine the system as a whole... that will let you get F.

Examining block A alone will give you the tension at the top of rope 1... examining block B along with rope 2 as a system will give you the tension at the bottom of rope 1.

examining block A, rope 1 and block B as a system (leaving out rope 2)... will give you the tension at the top of rope 2.

There are other choices for freebody diagrams... this is just one way.

I still don't understand examining the system as a whole.

aligass2004 said:
I still don't understand examining the system as a whole.

Draw a circle around the whole system (draw a circle around the 2 blocks and the two ropes)... treat it as one body... what are the external forces acting on this body? in other words... what are the forces acting on the inside of the circle by something outside (the tension forces won't count because it is inside the circle... it is exerted by one part of the body on another... it isn't an external force)

The forces acting on the whole system is just the gravitational force right?

aligass2004 said:
The forces acting on the whole system is just the gravitational force right?

And F.

So F=ma. Is the mass all of the masses added together times 4.4 m/s^2?

aligass2004 said:
So F=ma. Is the mass all of the masses added together times 4.4 m/s^2?

yes, but that's not the same "F" as in the diagram...

[tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex]

substitute into this equation...

I understand the concept. I'm just not sure how to put it on paper. F - (sum of the masses) a = ma?

aligass2004 said:
I understand the concept. I'm just not sure how to put it on paper. F - (sum of the masses) a = ma?

no. (sum of masses)a is wrong for the left side. Like you said before, the external forces are gravity, and F... the external forces go in the left side of the equation...

F - g = (sum of the masses)a

aligass2004 said:
F - g = (sum of the masses)a

yes... F - (sum of masses)g = (sum of masses)a.

I got 61.103N. Now how do I start part b?

aligass2004 said:
I got 61.103N. Now how do I start part b?

look at post #2 in the thread.

I got part b. I used T - (sum of the mass for B and the two ropes)g = (sum of the same masses) a. The answer was 35.525N

I tried doing the same thing for part c, but it didn't work.

aligass2004 said:
I got part b. I used T - (sum of the mass for B and the two ropes)g = (sum of the same masses) a. The answer was 35.525N

yes. looks right.

aligass2004 said:
I tried doing the same thing for part c, but it didn't work.

what exactly did you do for part c?

T - (sum of the mass for B and the bottom rope)g = (sum of the same masses)a.

aligass2004 said:
T - (sum of the mass for B and the bottom rope)g = (sum of the same masses)a.

what answer did you get?

I just redid the math, and what I did was right. Somehow I put the entirely wrong answer. I got 30.552N. I did the same thing for part D, and I got 4.974N.

aligass2004 said:
I just redid the math, and what I did was right. Somehow I put the entirely wrong answer. I got 30.552N. I did the same thing for part D, and I got 4.974N.

cool. good job.

1. What is force and tension?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate, change direction or shape, or experience a change in its state of motion. Tension is a type of force that occurs when a string, rope, or other flexible material is pulled taut.

2. How is force and tension related?

Force and tension are directly related, as tension is a type of force. When a rope or string is pulled taut, tension is created along the length of the material. This tension is equal to the force applied to the rope or string.

3. How can we calculate the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = F/A, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the rope.

4. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the applied force, the type and thickness of the rope, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How does tension impact the motion of an object?

Tension can impact the motion of an object by either causing it to accelerate or by balancing out other forces acting on the object. For example, in a pulley system, tension in the rope can help lift an object against the force of gravity.