Viewed Thread Bug? Why Aren't My Views Being Remembered?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like the forum might be caching posts incorrectly, and refreshing doesn't always fix it.
NeoDevin
Sometimes when I've viewed some threads, then go away and come back, the threads are marked as having not been viewed, even though they don't have any new posts in them. This seems to happen all or nothing in a visit, either it will remember that I've viewed all the threads I looked at, or it won't remember any of them.

I don't know if this is a bug, or just something wrong with my settings, or what.

Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
Sometimes when I've viewed some threads, then go away and come back, the threads are marked as having not been viewed, even though they don't have any new posts in them. This seems to happen all or nothing in a visit, either it will remember that I've viewed all the threads I looked at, or it won't remember any of them.

I don't know if this is a bug, or just something wrong with my settings, or what.

Likely a cache issue or going back and forth using your browser history buttons. It happens to me sometimes, a refresh always fixes it.

A refresh doesn't fix it, it's as if I never viewed any of the threads, even happens with new threads I created sometimes.

For example, I've read the top 6 threads in the careers forum, yet all of them show up as having new posts, no matter how many times I refresh.

If I view them again, then they are marked as not having new posts, but maybe if I go away, and come back again, it will mark all the posts I read this time, as unread again.

Just noticed, up top it says

Welcome, NeoDevin.
You last visited: Today at 07:50 AM

even though I've been on here a couple times since then...

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23 seconds."

Is this (above) notice something new?---or is it that I just don't type very fast to put in posts to even deal with it until now?

--------------

(I can see that it would help double posting the same post though)

Last edited:
Yeah, it does that to me too. I'll log in one time, and it'll show accurately what I've viewed, then another time, it seems to think I've viewed everything, then the next time, everything appears as if I've never viewed it. It's strange, and refreshes, clearing caches, etc., don't fix it. I always figured it was a confused cookie since I log in from multiple locations and computers in a day depending on what I'm doing and where I have 2 min to sit down.

I only ever log in from my laptop, as it's my only computer

Moonbear said:
Yeah, it does that to me too. I'll log in one time, and it'll show accurately what I've viewed, then another time, it seems to think I've viewed everything, then the next time, everything appears as if I've never viewed it. It's strange, and refreshes, clearing caches, etc., don't fix it. I always figured it was a confused cookie since I log in from multiple locations and computers in a day depending on what I'm doing and where I have 2 min to sit down.

I do the same. I log in from my computer one day, then from a computer at school the next, and I also seem to confuse the forum. I seem to have the opposite of NeoDevin's problem. When I log in, the forum sometimes shows no new threads even if there are new posts. Today I logged in and got no new posts, even though it had been hours since I logged in last.

1. What is the "Viewed Thread Bug"?

The "Viewed Thread Bug" refers to a technical issue that occurs on some websites or forums, where users' views on a particular thread or discussion are not being remembered or saved properly.

2. How does the "Viewed Thread Bug" affect users?

The "Viewed Thread Bug" can affect users by causing frustration and confusion, as they may have to repeatedly view the same thread or discussion that they have already read. This can also lead to a decrease in user engagement and participation on the website or forum.

3. Why does the "Viewed Thread Bug" happen?

The "Viewed Thread Bug" can happen due to various reasons, such as coding errors, server issues, or browser compatibility problems. It can also be caused by caching or cookie settings on the user's device.

4. How can the "Viewed Thread Bug" be fixed?

The fix for the "Viewed Thread Bug" will depend on the specific cause of the issue. Website or forum developers may need to troubleshoot and identify the root cause, and then implement a fix through code changes or server updates. Users can also try clearing their browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser or device.

5. Are there any preventive measures to avoid the "Viewed Thread Bug"?

Preventive measures for the "Viewed Thread Bug" may include regular website or forum maintenance and updates, as well as thorough testing before implementing any changes or updates. Users can also try using the website or forum in incognito or private browsing mode, which can sometimes bypass caching and cookie issues.