An advanced degree in Mathematical Physics after engineering?

In summary, the speaker is currently in the last semester of a coursework masters degree in electrical engineering and is interested in pursuing an advanced degree in mathematical physics and a research career. They are considering teaching high school as a short-term job option while they prepare for the rigors of graduate work. However, others advise them to complete a masters degree in either maths or physics before deciding on research as a career. They also mention that teaching high school may not necessarily help them in their future studies and may take up a lot of time. Ultimately, the speaker is unsure about their career path and is seeking advice.
veejay
Hello all,
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm currently in the last semester of a coursework masters degree(which i don't consider as a true postgraduate degree) in electrical engineering. my recent academic circumstances have rekindled my hitherto dormant interest in pure physics and mathematics and I'm very serious about it so much that i want to pursue an advanced degree in mathematical physics and a research career in the same thereafter.
also I'm aware that enthusiasm alone won't help me in the admission process anywhere, which is why I've decided to spend some time (after completing my degree), studying the fundamentals and foundations to prepare myself to any sort of rigorous graduate work in the future.
now, since i'll be graduating soon, i have to find myself a job to survive and i thought i can try for a simple job (that need not pay high) that wouldn't be very taxing and help me with my science pursuits.
i was considering teaching (math/physics) in high school as one such option, coz i'd have to anyway work on math/physics.
could someone advise me on whether teaching as a short term career would help me?
are there any disadvantages of the same that I'm not aware of?
or any other suggestions that'd work for me?
i'd really appreciate your help. thanks a lot! :smile:

Vijay.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see getting a job teaching hindering you, but I'm not sure that it'd help either. You will not use anything that you will need in your advanced studies by teaching maths/physics (I presume you mean at high school). How do you know that you want to do an advanced degree in "mathematical physics" (I'm not even sure what you mean by that) when you havn't done any undergraduate mathematical physics?

I suggest that you complete a masters degree in either maths or physics (preferably maths if you want to study mathematical physics) and then decide whether research is for you. It's going to be quite tough, since there will be a lot of assumed knowledge that you don't even know that you don't know. Still, it'll enable you to make the decision more easily, and clearly, than just saying you "like maths and physics."

hi cristo, i meant that whether teaching as a job would give me time to concurrently self-learn the advanced concepts (that i need to know for pursuing masters or phd in the field.)
and also, i meant 'mathematical physics' generically. i suppose i'll become more specific with time and exposure to various fields.

It depends on where you teach. Teaching may appear easy but at many places it is not. There are other "behind-the-scene" kinda aspects of the job that may take a lot of your time, and some of these are admin jobs that have little to do with teaching.

If this is your last semester in an MSEE program, why not just finish up and get a job? As others have said, teaching HS will not probably help you too much (the physics taught is generally very basic, no more advanced than the few fundamental courses you already took), and indeed may take far more time than you suspect. You should be able to get a pretty nice job as an EE, especially with an MS. Perhaps you could even take one or two physics courses at a university while you work. Maybe you will even find you enjoy your EE job and just continue with that. I guess I don't see any reason to throw away the 5-6 years of education that you already have, without even trying the field out.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that applies mathematical methods and techniques to the study of physical phenomena. It involves using mathematical models and equations to describe and understand the behavior of physical systems.

2. What is the benefit of pursuing an advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering?

An advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering can provide a deeper understanding and practical application of mathematical concepts in the field of physics. It can also open up opportunities for career advancement and specialization in areas such as theoretical physics, research, and academia.

3. What are the prerequisites for pursuing an advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering?

The prerequisites may vary depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering is required. This may include courses in calculus, differential equations, mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the career options for someone with an advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering?

Graduates with an advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including research and development, government agencies, and academia. Some common job titles may include physicist, data scientist, research analyst, and professor.

5. Is an advanced degree in mathematical physics after engineering worth the time and investment?

This depends on an individual's career goals and interests. Pursuing an advanced degree in mathematical physics can provide valuable skills and knowledge, as well as open up opportunities for higher-paying and fulfilling careers. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and financial commitment involved in pursuing an advanced degree.