Law of Composition of Velocities

In summary, according to the relativistic law of composition of velocities, a particle with initial velocity ui in one system will have a velocity u'i in a system moving at -vi relative to the first system. Mathematically, this can be shown as u'=(u+v)/(1+(uv/c^2)). By considering the equation as (u'/c)=[((u/c)+(v/c))/(1+(uv/c^2))], it can be deduced that if 0<u<c and 0<v<c, then 0<u'<c. However, when attempting to put this into the form of the hint equation, u'/c=(0<2)/(1<2), the result 0<u'<2
Ayame17

Homework Statement

From the relativistic law of composition of velocities one deduces that if a particle has velocity ui in O, then in a system O' moving at -vi relative to O, its velocity will be u'i where:

u'=(u+v)/(1+(uv/c^2))

Show, mathematically, that if 0<u<c and 0<v<c, then 0<u'<c also.

Homework Equations

Hint: Think of above equation as (u'/c)=[((u/c)+(v/c))/(1+(uv/c^2))]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've looked at it, and figured that if 0<u<c, then 0<(u/c)<1 and the same with v and u'. However, when putting this into the form of the 'hint' equation, you'd get u'/c=(0<2)/(1<2) which would give 0<u'<2, which isn't right. I can't see where it's going wrong though. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about the mess with the brackets, I couldn't get Latex to work how I wanted it!

1. What is the Law of Composition of Velocities?

The Law of Composition of Velocities, also known as the Velocity Addition Law, states that the total velocity of an object is equal to the sum of its individual velocities. In other words, if an object is moving with a velocity of v1 relative to a stationary observer, and then that observer is also moving with a velocity of v2 relative to another observer, the total velocity of the object relative to the second observer would be the sum of v1 and v2.

2. Who developed the Law of Composition of Velocities?

The Law of Composition of Velocities was first described by Galileo Galilei in the 17th century. It was later refined and mathematically formalized by Isaac Newton in his laws of motion.

3. What is the significance of the Law of Composition of Velocities?

This law is essential in understanding how objects move in different frames of reference. It allows us to calculate the total velocity of an object in relation to different observers and predict its motion accurately.

4. How does the Law of Composition of Velocities apply to Special Relativity?

In Special Relativity, the Law of Composition of Velocities is modified to take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. This is described by the Lorentz transformation equations, which allow us to calculate the total velocity of an object in relation to different observers in the presence of high speeds or gravity.

5. Can the Law of Composition of Velocities be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Law of Composition of Velocities can be applied to all types of motion, whether it is linear or circular, and in any direction. It is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics and is still applicable in modern physics such as Special Relativity and quantum mechanics.