Easy question about divergence in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, when finding the first term of the divergence expression in cylindrical coordinates, it is correct to multiply the radial component by r, then take the derivative with respect to r, and then evaluate at r=a. Substituting r=a before taking the derivative can lead to incorrect results.
EricVT
Consider a cylindrical shell so that the cross sectional radius is some constant a.

In the first term of the divergence expression in cylindrical coordinates:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rA_{r}) [/tex]

When I multiply the radial component by r, do I go ahead and substitute r=a before I take the derivative with respect to r or do I substitute r=a after I take the derivative with respect to r?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for example, I have the A_r component of my vector:

[tex] A_{r}=Pcos\theta [/tex]

And r=a is constant.

So if I do the divergence by multiplying A_r by r and then taking the derivative with respect to r, I get that that the first term is:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rA_{r}) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rPcos\theta) = \frac{Pcos\theta}{r}[/tex]

And then evaluate at r=a.

However, if I put in r=a before taking the derivative then I get:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rA_{r}) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(aPcos\theta) = 0 [/tex]

Which way is correct?

EricVT said:
Well for example, I have the A_r component of my vector:

[tex] A_{r}=Pcos\theta [/tex]

And r=a is constant.

So if I do the divergence by multiplying A_r by r and then taking the derivative with respect to r, I get that that the first term is:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rA_{r}) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rPcos\theta) = \frac{Pcos\theta}{r}[/tex]

And then evaluate at r=a.

However, if I put in r=a before taking the derivative then I get:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(rA_{r}) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(aPcos\theta) = 0 [/tex]

Which way is correct?

I was backing and forthing on this and finally deleted my post because I was second-guessing things. I believe the correct thing to do is to differentiate first and then evaluate at r = a . If you set r = a first, you set certain terms constant which will seem to have zero derivative, but don't in fact. Seeing your example satisfied me as to this point. So I'm reasonably sure your first result is the correct one.

1. What is divergence in cylindrical coordinates?

Divergence in cylindrical coordinates is a measure of how much a vector field spreads or converges at a given point in space. It is represented by the symbol ∇ · F and is defined as the sum of the partial derivatives of the vector components with respect to their corresponding coordinates.

2. How is divergence calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

Divergence in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the formula ∇ · F = (1/ρ)(∂(ρFρ)/∂ρ) + (1/ρ)(∂Fφ/∂φ) + (∂Fz/∂z), where ρ is the radial coordinate, φ is the azimuthal angle, and z is the vertical coordinate.

3. What does a positive, negative, or zero divergence value indicate in cylindrical coordinates?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vector field is spreading outwards from the given point, while a negative divergence value indicates that the vector field is converging inwards. A zero divergence value indicates that the vector field is neither spreading nor converging at the given point.

4. How is divergence useful in physics and engineering?

Divergence is useful in physics and engineering because it helps us understand how a vector field behaves at a given point, and it can be used to analyze fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena.

5. Can divergence be negative in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, divergence can be negative in cylindrical coordinates if the vector field is converging towards the given point. It is important to note that the sign of divergence depends on the direction of the vector field and not just the value itself.