A solid cylinder has a mass of

In summary, a solid cylinder with a mass of 10kg and a radius of .2 meters achieves a rotational velocity of 2 revolutions per second after 4 seconds. To cause this, a torque of .628Nm is required. It takes the cylinder 1 second to rotate through one full circle (2pi radians). Assuming the rotation is caused by a string wound around the cylinder, the string would have to be pulled with a force of 3.14N.
bww
A solid cylinder has a mass of 10kg and a radius of .2 meters. Starting from rest it achieves a rotational velocity of 2 revolutions per second after 4 seconds.
a. What torque is required to cause this?
I found the Inertia, (.5)(10(.2) =.2 and found alpha= 2*2pi/4 and got 3.142. Then I took
.2(3.142) to find the Torque of .628Nm.

The problem I encounter is on part b.
B. How long did it take for the cylinder to rotate through its first 2pi radians?
I think it sounds rather basic but the question confuses me. Am I suppose to use the radius of .2 and the 3.142. I really don't know what is wanting me to do.

And then for part c.
C. Assuming this is produced by a string wound around the cylinder, how hard in Newtons, would the string have to be pulled?
I use the Torque formula again right? F*L? so i take like .628 and divide it by .2 to get 3.14N?

Those are my thoughts, great appreciation to anyone who can help me out! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part B, what it is asking is how long it takes for the cylinder to rotate one full circle. That is what 2pi radians is.

B) Use theta=1/2(alpha*t^2), where theta = 2*3.142. Find t.
C) Torque = Force*radius. What you've written is correct.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a solid cylinder?

The formula for calculating the mass of a solid cylinder is M = πr²hρ, where M is the mass, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, h is the height, and ρ is the density of the material.

2. How do you measure the mass of a solid cylinder?

The mass of a solid cylinder can be measured using a scale or balance. The cylinder is placed on one side of the scale and weights are added to the other side until the scale is balanced. The total weight of the added weights is equal to the mass of the cylinder.

3. What units are used to measure the mass of a solid cylinder?

The mass of a solid cylinder is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g). In some cases, it may be measured in other units such as pounds (lb) or ounces (oz).

4. Does the mass of a solid cylinder change if its shape or size changes?

Yes, the mass of a solid cylinder will change if its shape or size changes. The mass is directly proportional to the volume of the cylinder, so if the shape or size changes, the volume will change and therefore the mass will also change.

5. How does the mass of a solid cylinder affect its weight?

The mass of a solid cylinder does not directly affect its weight. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and is dependent on both mass and the strength of the gravitational field. However, since the mass of a solid cylinder is a measure of the amount of matter it contains, a heavier cylinder will typically have a greater weight due to the greater gravitational force acting on it.