Reuters: World Bank uncovers fraud in India health projects

In summary, the World Bank has uncovered serious incidents of fraud and corruption in five health projects in India, with evidence of problems dating back to 1997. The Indian government has pledged to pursue criminal charges against those found guilty. This discovery is seen as both good and bad news, as it shows progress in uncovering corruption but also suggests it may be more widespread than initially thought.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21am IST

By Lesley Wroughton

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The World Bank said on Friday it had uncovered "serious incidents" of fraud and corruption in a review of five health projects in India and Bank President Robert Zoellick pledged he and the government would get to the bottom of it.

Evidence of problems was found in a just-released Detailed Implementation Review launched by the World Bank in 2006, with the support of the Indian government. It looked at the five World Bank-supported projects, some dating back to 1997, for HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis.

[...]

Meanwhile, India's finance ministry said it would pursue criminal charges against anyone found guilty of wrongdoing.
http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-31361020080111

My 2 cents on this is, at least somebody discovered it (= 1 cent for the good news) and something tells me this is the tip of an immense iceberg (= 1 cent for the bad news).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-31361020080111

My 2 cents on this is, at least somebody discovered it (= 1 cent for the good news) and something tells me this is the tip of an immense iceberg (= 1 cent for the bad news).
Thank god that the US fed dropped its interest rates to save the indians again and again and again.. ohh wait that was to save the french :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As a scientist, it is concerning to see that fraud and corruption have been uncovered in World Bank-supported health projects in India. This not only raises ethical concerns, but also has real-world consequences for the health and well-being of the people who depend on these projects.

It is commendable that the World Bank and the Indian government took steps to uncover these incidents through the Detailed Implementation Review. However, it is disheartening to see that these problems have been going on for over a decade, dating back to 1997. This raises questions about the effectiveness of oversight and monitoring mechanisms in place.

Moving forward, it is crucial for the World Bank and the Indian government to work together to address these issues and hold those responsible accountable. It is encouraging to see that the Indian finance ministry has pledged to pursue criminal charges against anyone found guilty of wrongdoing. This sends a strong message that fraud and corruption will not be tolerated.

I believe that transparency and accountability are essential for the success of any project, especially in the health sector. It is important for all stakeholders to work together to ensure that resources are used effectively and ethically to improve the health of the people in need. I hope that this incident serves as a wake-up call for better oversight and monitoring in future projects, and that steps are taken to prevent similar incidents from happening again.

1. What is the World Bank's involvement in India's health projects?

The World Bank provides financial assistance and support to various development projects in India, including those related to healthcare.

2. What type of fraud was uncovered by the World Bank?

The World Bank uncovered instances of financial mismanagement and diversion of funds meant for health projects in India.

3. How much money was involved in the fraud?

The World Bank estimated that over $500 million was misappropriated or misused in India's health projects.

4. Who were the perpetrators of the fraud?

The fraud was reportedly committed by various officials and entities involved in the implementation of health projects in India, including government officials, contractors, and NGOs.

5. What actions will the World Bank take in response to the fraud?

The World Bank has suspended disbursement of funds to the health projects in question and will be conducting an investigation to identify the individuals and entities responsible for the fraud. They will also work with the Indian government to strengthen oversight and prevent future fraud in development projects.