Battery supercapacitor hybrid design

In summary, the individual is seeking opinions on using a supercapacitor in their circuit to prolong battery run-time. However, the load drains the supercapacitor faster than the battery can charge it, causing the load to run out of power and restart. The individual is wondering if there is a way to limit the load's consumption or increase the battery's charging speed. They have also decided to purchase a chip from LT to address the issue.
tattee
hello! i would like to ask for your opinions. i have tried using supercapacitor in my circuit to prolong its battery run-time. I have attached a simple circuit design for your reference.

the problem is that the load drains the supercapacitor faster than the battery charging the supercap. the result is that the load runs out of power and restarts. is there a way we can limit the consumption of the load or increase the speed of charging time of the battery?

thank you!

Attachments

• aaaa.bmp
    100.6 KB · Views: 631
Engineering news on Phys.org
tattee said:
hello! i would like to ask for your opinions. i have tried using supercapacitor in my circuit to prolong its battery run-time. I have attached a simple circuit design for your reference.

the problem is that the load drains the supercapacitor faster than the battery charging the supercap. the result is that the load runs out of power and restarts. is there a way we can limit the consumption of the load or increase the speed of charging time of the battery?

thank you!

If I understand your question, then your battery has too much internal resistance for the load.
You need to select a battery that can accommodate the average current.
The supercap may or may not extend the battery life depending on the load specifications.

1. What is a battery supercapacitor hybrid design?

A battery supercapacitor hybrid design is a type of energy storage system that combines the advantages of both batteries and supercapacitors. It utilizes the high energy density of batteries and the high power density of supercapacitors to create a more efficient and versatile energy storage solution.

2. How does a battery supercapacitor hybrid design work?

A battery supercapacitor hybrid design works by using the battery component to store and release large amounts of energy over a longer period of time, while the supercapacitor component provides quick bursts of energy for high power demands. The two components work together to provide a more stable and efficient energy output.

3. What are the benefits of using a battery supercapacitor hybrid design?

Some of the main benefits of a battery supercapacitor hybrid design include increased energy efficiency, longer lifespan, and faster charging times. This type of design also allows for a wider range of energy storage applications, making it a more versatile solution compared to traditional batteries or supercapacitors alone.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of a battery supercapacitor hybrid design?

One potential drawback of a battery supercapacitor hybrid design is its higher cost compared to traditional batteries or supercapacitors. Additionally, the complexity of the design may require more maintenance and monitoring. However, as technology advances, these drawbacks are becoming less significant.

5. How is a battery supercapacitor hybrid design being used in the real world?

Battery supercapacitor hybrid designs are currently being used in various industries, such as transportation, renewable energy, and consumer electronics. They are also being researched and developed for use in electric vehicles and grid-level energy storage systems, as they offer a more efficient and sustainable energy storage solution.