Basic Lagrangian dynamics question (setup of problem)

In summary: Ultimately, your goal is to determine the shape of the curved portion of the tool that is carved by the abrasive particle during contact. This will require further investigation and experimentation, and you may need to post more questions as your work progresses. In summary, the conversation discusses a grad student's PhD work on creating a mathematical model of a manufacturing process using variational mechanics. The student is unsure of the number of degrees of freedom in the problem and is seeking clarification on the number of particles and kinematical constraints involved. The ultimate goal is to determine the shape of the curved portion of the tool created by the abrasive particle during contact. The student plans to continue posting questions as their work progresses.
engineer23
I am currently a grad student. Part of my PhD work will be to formulate a mathematical model of a manufacturing process using Lagrangian dynamics. I am just beginning to delve into the world of variational mechanics, having never had a formal course in the subject. The process involves a stationary tool (rigid) which rotates about a fixed axis and contacts a metal plate that is moving in the x-direction at some feed rate, fr (similar to a milling operation). The plate material is reinforced with abrasive "spheres" which come into contact with the tool at a rate that is dependent on tool rotation speed, material feed rate, percent reinforcement, etc. and result in wear of the tool.
I'm in the formative stages, but I just wanted to be clear on how many degrees of freedom (n) this problem entails. N is the number of "particles" and m indicates the number of kinematical constraints. My mechanics book relates n to N and m by the expression n = 3N -m. Does N = 2 (the rotating tool + the abrasive particle moving at fr which the tool comes in contact with)? Or is there another N I am neglecting (such as the other components of the material? What about m?

Visualize the abrasive particle carving a straight portion of the tool into a curved shape as it makes contact. My ultimate goal is to determine the shape of this curve...

Thanks for any help you can offer me! I will probably be posting a lot more in the coming year as I progress. The experimental work is somewhat complete...I am trying to obtain some sort of mathematical model which validates the shapes I have observed. This is my first of what will be many attempts...

Physics news on Phys.org
In this problem, N would be equal to 2, the rotating tool and the abrasive particle moving at fr which the tool comes in contact with. m is the number of kinematical constraints, which would depend on the equations of motion you are using to describe the system. For example, if you are using Newtonian mechanics, then m would be equal to 3 (one equation for each of the three spatial dimensions). If you are using Lagrangian dynamics, then m would depend on the type of constraint you are using.

it is great to see that you are already thinking about the mathematical model for your manufacturing process using Lagrangian dynamics. This is a complex problem and it is important to properly define the degrees of freedom (n) and kinematical constraints (m) in order to accurately model the system.

Based on the information provided, it seems like N would indeed be 2 in this case, as you have correctly identified the rotating tool and the abrasive particle as the two main components of the system. However, it is important to also consider any other components that may affect the motion of these two main components, such as the material the tool and particle are interacting with or any external forces acting on the system.

As for m, it would depend on the specific constraints in your system. It could include constraints such as the fixed axis of rotation for the tool, the feed rate of the metal plate, and any other restrictions on the motion of the tool and particle.

In terms of your ultimate goal to determine the shape of the curve created by the abrasive particle, this would involve solving the equations of motion for the system and analyzing the resulting trajectory of the particle as it interacts with the tool. This could also involve considering the wear and deformation of the tool as it is being carved by the particle.

I wish you the best of luck with your research and I am sure you will gain a deeper understanding of variational mechanics as you progress in your studies. Feel free to reach out with any further questions or updates on your work.

1. What is the concept of Lagrangian dynamics?

Lagrangian dynamics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the action, a quantity that represents the difference between kinetic and potential energy.

2. How is the Lagrangian defined in this context?

The Lagrangian is a function that combines the kinetic and potential energies of a system and its constraints. It is typically denoted by the symbol L and is a function of the system's generalized coordinates and their time derivatives.

3. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Newtonian mechanics?

The main difference between Lagrangian and Newtonian mechanics is the way they describe the motion of a system. While Newtonian mechanics uses forces to determine the motion, Lagrangian mechanics uses the principle of least action. Additionally, Lagrangian mechanics is more general and can be applied to systems with constraints, while Newtonian mechanics is limited to systems without constraints.

4. How is a Lagrangian dynamics problem set up?

A Lagrangian dynamics problem is typically set up by defining the system and its constraints, determining the kinetic and potential energies, and then using the Lagrangian function to derive the equations of motion. These equations can then be solved to determine the motion of the system over time.

5. What are some real-life applications of Lagrangian dynamics?

Lagrangian dynamics has many applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include analyzing the motion of a pendulum, studying the dynamics of celestial bodies, and designing control systems for mechanical systems. It is also used in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and fluid mechanics.