Find acceleration of the mass immidiately after rope is cut

In summary, a 20 kg mass suspended by two ropes, one horizontal and one at a 30 degree angle, has a tension force of 392N in the vertical component of the angled rope. The total tension in rope 2 is 2m*g, with a horizontal component of cosθ * T2 and a vertical component of m*g. When rope 1 is cut, the acceleration of the mass can be found using the equation EF = ma.
veronicak5678

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is suspended by two ropes. Rope 1 goes to the wall horizonatlly from the left side of the mass. Rope 2 goes from the top right corner of the mass to the wall at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal top of the mass.

a- If the mass is at rest, what is the tension force in rope 2?
b- determine the tension in rope 1.
c- Find acceleration of the mass immidiately after rope 1 is cut.

Homework Equations

EF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1) T2y = w
T = w / sin 30 = mg / sin 30

= 392 N

2) ?

If I have done part 1 correctly, it seems like the tension in rope 1 would be 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
veronicak5678 said:

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is suspended by two ropes. Rope 1 goes to the wall horizonatlly from the left side of the mass. Rope 2 goes from the top right corner of the mass to the wall at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal top of the mass.

a- If the mass is at rest, what is the tension force in rope 2?
b- determine the tension in rope 1.
c- Find acceleration of the mass immidiately after rope 1 is cut.

Homework Equations

EF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1) T2y = w
T = w / sin 30 = mg / sin 30

= 392 N

2) ?

If I have done part 1 correctly, it seems like the tension in rope 1 would be 0?

If I have the picture correctly there is a rope on each side pulling correct?

While the net horizontal forces may be 0, there is Tension in each.

Yes, there is a rope on each side, but rope 1 is halfway down the left side and pulled straight out, horizontally, to the wall. Rope 2 is coming from the right top corner of the mass and pulling to the wall diagonally. The angle of 30 is measured from the horizontal level of the top of the mass to the rope 2. I hope that makes sense. Wish I had a scanner!

Last edited:
veronicak5678 said:
Yes, there is a rope on each side, but rope 1 is halfway down the left side and pulled straight out, horizontally, to the wall. Rope 2 is coming from the right top corner of the mass and pulling to the wall diagonally. The angle of 30 is measured from the top of the mass to the rope 2. Hope that makes sense. Wish I had a scanner!

I think I have it.

If you look at the Tension of the angled rope it has 2 components x and y.

You know the y component must be m*g because that's all there is holding it up. The Tension then by dividing sin30 is 2*m*g.

So the horizontal component is 2*m*g*cos30 = (.866)*2*m*g
and the vertical of course is (1/2)*2*m*g = m*g.

So the horizontal Tension of one must equal the horizontal Tension of the other.

Why is the horizontal 2*m*g*cos30?

I get as far as T2y = 392 N. Isn't that independent of T2x?

veronicak5678 said:
Why is the horizontal 2*m*g*cos30?

I get as far as T2y = 392 N. Isn't that independent of T2x?

You know that because there is no other vertical force component, ALL of the weight of the block MUST be carried by the vertical component.

Doesn't that translate at 30 degrees to the Horizontal the Tension in the rope as being m*g/.5 = 2*m*g?

The Tension vector is the Vector sum of the 2 components.

OK. So how do I state the total tension in rope 2? Add the components together?

veronicak5678 said:
OK. So how do I state the total tension in rope 2? Add the components together?

Wait a minute. You already know the Total Tension. (You gave it already in your first post.) And you know the vertical component of the tension (Ty = m*g). So to find the horizontal component, that's cosθ * T2 = Cosθ *(2mg) = Tx

I thought the 392N was the tension in just the y component of rope 2. Is that wrong?

veronicak5678 said:
I thought the 392N was the tension in just the y component of rope 2. Is that wrong?

That looks like the total Tension.

M*g = 20 *9.8 = 196N is the Ty

Oh! OK, I see what I was doing. My notes for this class are a mess because the professor rushes through everything. You've explained more to me today than he has all week. Thanks again.

1. How is acceleration defined in this scenario?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In this scenario, it refers to the change in the mass's velocity immediately after the rope is cut.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of the mass?

The acceleration of the mass is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and any external factors such as air resistance or friction.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of the mass?

The acceleration of the mass can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied to the mass, and m is the mass of the object.

4. Does the length or thickness of the rope impact the acceleration of the mass?

No, the length or thickness of the rope does not directly impact the acceleration of the mass. However, the strength or elasticity of the rope may affect the force applied to the mass, which in turn can affect the acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity in this scenario?

In this scenario, acceleration and velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the acceleration of the mass increases, so does its velocity.