Velocity Time Graphs and Questions

In summary: Then subtract one from the other to get the distance between them.In summary, two students on a balcony 19.6 m above the street throw balls vertically, one downwards at 14.7 m/s and the other upwards at the same speed. The difference in the time the balls spend in the air is 3 seconds, and they both have a velocity of 14.7 m/s as they strike the ground. After 0.8 seconds, the balls are 12.8 m apart.
Run4Fun
I've been working on this one problem for a while and I don't really seem to understand it. If you could help me understand how to do this, I would be much obliged.

Two students are on a balcony 19.6 m about the street. One student throws a ball vertically downward at 14.7 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball vertically upward at the same speed. The socond ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

a. What is the difference in the time the balls spend in the air?

b. What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?

c. How far apart ar the balls 0.800 s after they are thrown?

I attempted the first one and got it right (by a miracle in my opinion)- 3.0 Seconds

But I seem to be stuck when it comes to b.

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocities of each ball right before they hit the ground will be equal (since when the ball thrown vertically upward comes back down to the point from which it was thrown, it's velocity will be the negative of it's initial velocity, 14.7 m/s. And that is the same velocity the first ball was thrown straight down with)
You can use kinematic equations to solve for final velocity (displacement = -19.6m, acceleration = -9.8m/s/s, Vi= +/- 14.7 m/s, then solve for Vf)

Last edited:
Run4Fun said:
I've been working on this one problem for a while and I don't really seem to understand it. If you could help me understand how to do this, I would be much obliged.

Two students are on a balcony 19.6 m about the street. One student throws a ball vertically downward at 14.7 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball vertically upward at the same speed. The socond ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

a. What is the difference in the time the balls spend in the air?

b. What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?

c. How far apart ar the balls 0.800 s after they are thrown?I attempted the first one and got it right (by a miracle in my opinion)- 3.0 Seconds

But I seem to be stuck when it comes to b.

Welcome to PF.

It shouldn't take a miracle to figure the first one.

Whatever the speed thrown upward will be the same speed as it passes the same height on the way down. That simply makes it a calculation of how long to go up from the balcony and back down.
14.7m/s/9.8m/s2 = 1.5 is how long to go up and double it for the up and down. 3 seconds.

For b) since they both pass the balcony at the same speed they will strike the ground with the same speed.
V2 = Vi2 + 2*g*x

For c) you need to use x = Xi + Vi*t +1/2*g*t2 (appropriately set up for each ball) and calculate the positions of each at .8s.

1. What is a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph is a graphical representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over time. The horizontal x-axis represents time and the vertical y-axis represents velocity. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's acceleration.

2. How do you interpret a velocity-time graph?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration. A positive slope indicates that the object is speeding up, while a negative slope indicates that the object is slowing down. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. The area under the curve on the graph represents the displacement (change in position) of the object.

3. What does a flat line on a velocity-time graph indicate?

A flat line on a velocity-time graph indicates that the object is not moving, or its velocity is constant. This could mean that the object is at rest or moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

4. How can you calculate the acceleration from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a velocity-time graph, you can use the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This can be found by finding the slope of the line on the graph or by finding the change in velocity and dividing it by the change in time between two points on the graph.

5. What can you determine about an object's motion from a velocity-time graph?

From a velocity-time graph, you can determine the object's acceleration, whether it is moving at a constant speed, and its displacement. You can also determine if the object is moving in a straight line or changing direction. Additionally, the shape of the graph can indicate if the object is accelerating at a constant rate or if its acceleration is changing over time.