Two-Body Problem: Angular Momentum Calculation

In summary, the two particles have angular momentum about their center of mass which has magnitude aI/µ.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

Two gravitating particles with masses m1 and m2 start from rest a large distance apart. They are allowed to fall freely towards one another. The particles are given equal and opposite impulses I when they are a distance a apart, such that each impulse is perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Show that the total angular momentum of the two particles about their centre of mass has magnitude aI /µ, where µ is the reduced mass of the system.

Homework Equations

Reduced mass=m1m2/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this is the second last part of quite a long question on the 2-body problem, and I've managed fine until now (showing the position of the centre of mass 'C' - is constant, finding their relative speed etc) but I'm not sure how to go about this part of the question. The two particles are going to be moving in a straight line towards each other before the impulses which should mean 0 angular momentum before, so then the only angular momentum afterwards would be that from the impulses right?

But the impulses are perpendicular to the direction of motion so with the r x p cross product we'd just have angular momentum=dist. from C * impulse in each case wouldn't we? The m2 mass particle should have a distance (m1/(m1+m2))a from C and the m1 particle a distance of (m2/(m1+m2))a, but then clearly I've done something wrong because the sum of the impulses will just be (m1+m2/m1+m2)aI=aI.

Where am I going wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That sure seems correct to me. aI/mu doesn't even have the correct units, does it?

Actually that's a fair point, whereas aI does - weird! I'll check with someone else to see if the question is mistyped, but it seems odd that the entire "/µ, where µ is the reduced mass of the system." would be a mistake...

I'll let you know if i find out! Do you think just aI is the correct answer then?

Last edited:

1. What is the Two-Body Problem?

The Two-Body Problem is a mathematical concept in physics that involves calculating the motion of two objects that are gravitationally attracted to each other. It is often used to study the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and moons.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated in the Two-Body Problem?

Angular Momentum in the Two-Body Problem is calculated using the equation L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the distance between the two objects. This equation takes into account the rotation and motion of the objects in relation to each other.

3. What factors affect the Angular Momentum in the Two-Body Problem?

The Angular Momentum in the Two-Body Problem is affected by the mass of the objects, their velocities, and the distance between them. It is also influenced by any external forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces, acting on the objects.

4. How is Angular Momentum conserved in the Two-Body Problem?

In an isolated system, Angular Momentum is conserved in the Two-Body Problem. This means that the total angular momentum of the two objects remains constant, even as they move and interact with each other. This conservation is a result of Newton's Third Law of Motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Two-Body Problem and Angular Momentum calculation?

The Two-Body Problem and Angular Momentum calculation have many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectories of satellites and spacecraft, studying the motion of planets and moons, and understanding the stability of binary star systems. It is also used in fields like astrodynamics, celestial mechanics, and aerospace engineering.