Important career or career you enjoy?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a career as a computer game designer or a physicist. The speaker enjoys gaming and thinks designing games would be an enjoyable career, but worries about the lack of importance of this field in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, the speaker is drawn to the intellectual challenge and potential impact of becoming a physicist, but is concerned about the time and effort required to obtain a Ph.D. There is also a discussion about fame and recognition, with the speaker unsure if it truly matters to them. Suggestions are given for the speaker to explore computer-related degrees and joint degrees in order to find the right path for themselves. The conversation concludes with a reminder for the speaker to make their own
Zandorian
Ok, most of you will say enjoy automaticly, but the thing is I am not sure what I will enjoy in the long run. Computer game designer or Physicist. That is what I am have been thinking about for sometime now.

I really think being a computer game designer would be enjoyable. I am a long time gamer, and I think making games would be just as fun. However, making computer games, when looked at from a cosmic perspective, is not important at all. If I do this I will not be remembered (even if I make popular games, the people who would remember me would be very small, and the time period that people would know my name would be very short). I just don't see myself doing something that doesn't really help the human species in the long term. The thing I don't like about the idea of being a game designer would be getting stuck in that field and not being able to make the switch to Physics if I wanted to, and the fact that I would have a voice in my head all the time saying "You're going to die an unknown nobody who contributed nothing to humanity"

As for being a physicist, this would be awesome. I don't know how enjoyable, but defenitely awesome. To know how the world around me works (and according to some people in this forum, getting a Ph.D in physics by self-education isn't feasible) would give me a, well, I am sure you guys know what I am talking about. A "cosmic" religious feeling would be the phrase. Ofcourse, my opinions would have more weight with the Ph.D in front of it. Also, the ability to have the kind of books I would like to publish taken seriously would be much better than with being a game designer. The worst thing about becomming a physicist would be the time, money, and effort involed in getting a ph.d, and the fact that i want a good job now.

ok, that's it. Anyone have any suggestions? I know I have said something like this b4. But I have given u guys a lil more info here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was originally going to look into computer game design, but then I narrowed it down to something computer oriented (Meaning specifically computer related and not simply using a computer.) Now, I'm not really sure I want that either. I'm just lost in the amazing careers available now.

Have you looked into computer game design? Are you good at creating storylines? I'm assuming the computer person is simply the guy punching in the codes that other people tell him to use rather than the person behind the creation of the computer games themselves.

Personally, I'd like to be as well known in history as you. However, why does it matter so much? Personally if you want to be known and recognized, isn't it popularity that you seek. Seeking popularity usually is at the top of people's list for desires, and the bottom of the list for things they think as honorable goals.

Personally I think you'll come up with the best decision yourself. I'd go with whatever makes you happy. Will working at an enjoyable job make you happy every day or will working at a job less enjoyable with a chance at fame provide you more happiness?

Wanting to be famous and go down in history is a goal of many individuals. I used to seek that, and I still want it in some instances. However, everyone can't have that for themselves. Its often the wisest who lurk in the shadows looking to assist the person who is truly more suited for such success.

Here's a thought to ponder:

Computer degrees such as Computer Science are often widely applied to other careers. How many jobs with require high levels of knowledge don't use a computer? Taking a small degree in Computers might be a start. You could get an Introduction to Game Design and see if you enjoy it.

Some places offer joint degrees like Computer Science and Mathematics/Physics, ect. That might be another path to investigate.

Make sure you look at your options and decide for yourself though. Don't take my advice word for word, find out it doesn't work, and then come hunt me down. I wouldn't want that. ;) Good luck with your decision! I wrote this quickly so if someone finds flaws in some of my above ethnical advice, I didn't think of it in much length.

First of all, it's great that you are considering both your enjoyment and the impact on humanity in your career decision. Both computer game design and physics have their own unique contributions to society, so it's important to weigh your interests and values in making a decision.

It's understandable that you may have concerns about being remembered or making a lasting impact in the world as a game designer. However, it's important to remember that every career has the potential to make a positive impact, even if it may not be on a grand scale. Game designers have the power to create experiences and stories that can inspire and entertain people, and that in itself can be a valuable contribution to society. Additionally, the gaming industry is constantly evolving and expanding, providing opportunities for growth and impact in the future.

On the other hand, pursuing a career in physics can also be fulfilling and impactful. As you mentioned, the knowledge and understanding you gain in this field can have a deep and meaningful impact on your perspective and the potential for future contributions to society. While the path to a Ph.D may be long and challenging, the end result can be incredibly rewarding.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a career that aligns with your interests and values. If you are passionate about both game design and physics, perhaps you can find ways to combine the two, such as designing educational games or simulations that teach physics concepts. It's also important to keep in mind that your career path may not be linear and you may have the opportunity to explore both fields in your lifetime.

In the end, the decision is yours and there is no right or wrong answer. Trust your instincts and follow your passions, and you will find a fulfilling and enjoyable career. Good luck!

1. What is the most important factor in choosing a career?

The most important factor in choosing a career is finding something that you are passionate about and enjoy doing. It's important to find a career that aligns with your interests and values, as this will lead to greater job satisfaction and fulfillment.

2. How do I know if a career is right for me?

There are a few different ways to determine if a career is a good fit for you. Firstly, you can research the job duties and responsibilities to see if they align with your skills and interests. Additionally, you can try shadowing or interning in the field to get a better sense of the day-to-day work. Lastly, trust your gut and listen to your intuition - if a career feels like the right fit, it likely is.

3. Is it important to have a clear career path?

Having a clear career path can be beneficial, but it's not essential. It's important to have goals and a general idea of where you want your career to go, but it's also okay to be open to different opportunities and career changes. It's important to be adaptable and open to new experiences in your career journey.

4. How do I advance in my career?

Advancing in your career can be achieved through a combination of hard work, dedication, and networking. Continuously learning and improving your skills is also important for career advancement. Additionally, building relationships and networking with colleagues and professionals in your field can open up new opportunities for growth and advancement.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a career you enjoy?

Pursuing a career that you enjoy has numerous benefits, including increased job satisfaction, better mental and emotional well-being, and a higher chance of success. When you enjoy your work, you are more likely to be motivated, productive, and fulfilled in your career. This can also lead to a better work-life balance and overall quality of life.