Help Solving Physics Problem: Point Charge and Rod of Charge

In summary, the student of BsCs- 1st Semester is requesting help in solving a physics question regarding finding the force on a positive point charge q located a distance x from the end of a rod of length L with uniformly distributed positive charge Q. The question is taken from the textbook "Physics Vol 2" by David Haliday and Robert Resnic. The suggested approach is to divide the rod into slices and integrate from x to x + L.
urduworld
attachment.php?attachmentid=18915&stc=1&d=1242376775.jpg

Hi Friends I am student of BsCs- 1st Semester,

I am facing problem to solve a question of physics. I have tried my best to solve it but I am fail, can anyone do it for me I will thank to him.

Here Is The Question

Find the force on a positive point charge q located a distance x from the end of a rod of length L with uniformly distributed positive charge Q. See Fig

This Question Is Taken From Physics Vol 2—Edition fifth by
David Haliday (university of pittsburg)
Robert Resnic

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,289
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

please solve this please

Welcome to PF!

Hi urduworld! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, never bump your questions in the first 24 hours … people are much more likely to answer a thread with 0 replies :wink:, and half PF's members are asleep now anyway! :zzz:)
urduworld said:
Find the force on a positive point charge q located a distance x from the end of a rod of length L with uniformly distributed positive charge Q.

Hint: divide the rod into slices of thickness dy and charge Qdy/L, find the force from each slice, and integrate from x to x + L …

what do you get? :smile:

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a particle with a specific amount of electric charge concentrated at a single point in space. This charge can be either positive or negative and is usually represented by the symbol "q".

2. How does a point charge interact with other charges?

A point charge interacts with other charges through the electrostatic force, which is determined by Coulomb's Law. This force can either attract or repel other charges based on their relative positions and the amount of charge they possess.

3. What is a rod of charge?

A rod of charge is a physical object that has a uniform distribution of electric charge along its length. It is often used as a simplified model in physics problems to represent a line of charges. The charge density, or amount of charge per unit length, is usually denoted by the symbol "λ".

4. How do you calculate the electric field due to a point charge?

To calculate the electric field at a point due to a point charge, you can use the formula E = kq/r², where k is the Coulomb's Law constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the electric field is being measured. The electric field is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction.

5. How do you use the principle of superposition to solve problems involving point charges and rods of charge?

The principle of superposition states that the electric field at a point due to multiple charges is equal to the vector sum of the electric fields at that point due to each individual charge. This principle can be applied to problems involving point charges and rods of charge by breaking them down into smaller, simpler components and then adding the electric fields from each component together to find the total electric field at the point of interest.