Meta-mathematical Pursuits - Sine(Infinity)

• Thread starter 22/7
  • Start date
In summary, the theory of divergent series and integrals allows for the solution of certain limits, such as the limit of sine at infinity, using methods such as Euler's identity and l'Hospital's rule. However, this theory is not generally accepted due to its potential for causing confusion and difficulty in understanding for those without a sufficient mathematical background. The example of a function that diverges by oscillation is often used to illustrate the complexity of this theory.
22/7
I have noticed that, in the theory of divergent series and divergent integrals, [tex] \sin ( \infty ) = 0[/tex].
For example
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \ (-1)^n = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 ... = \frac{1}{1-(-1)} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

but

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^k \ (-1)^n = \frac{ - (-1)^{n} - 1}{1-(-1)}[/tex]

and taking the limit as [tex]k \rightarrow \infty[/tex] (use Euler's identity to put the negative power in trigonometric form)

[tex]- \lim_{\substack{k \rightarrow \infty}} \frac{(\cos( \pi k ) + i * \sin ( \pi k )) - 1}{2} = 1/2[/tex]

and hence that [itex]\sin ( \infty ) = \cos ( \infty ) = 0[/itex] (Equate real and imaginary parts).

What I would like to know is why this theory (that sine is zero at infinity) is not generally accepted even though it allows for such things as the solution to
[tex] \lim_{\substack{x \rightarrow \infty}} \frac{\sin ( x ) + x}{x}[/tex]
by use of l'Hospital's rule. Is there a good reason or is it simply too good of an example of a function that diverges by oscillation?

Please forgive any mistakes as this is the first time I've used LaTEX.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
22/7 said:
is it simply a too good of an example of a function that diverges by oscillation?

Pretty much. It has an essential singularity at infinity.

22/7 said:
What I would like to know is why this theory in not generaly accepted
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I can take a guess...

Most people simply don't have a need to study esoteric functionals -- for the most part, it would do far more harm than good to try and teach them to people who don't have the background to understand what's going on, and when they would be useful.

(Contrast with things like distributions -- the dirac delta is so useful that it does more good than harm to teach it to people who can't yet understand what's going on)

1. What is "Meta-mathematical Pursuits - Sine(Infinity)"?

Meta-mathematical pursuits refer to the study and analysis of mathematical concepts and principles beyond their practical applications. Sine(Infinity) is a specific concept within this field that explores the behavior of sine functions as the input approaches infinity.

2. Why is the study of Sine(Infinity) important?

The study of Sine(Infinity) is important because it allows us to better understand the complexities of mathematical concepts and their behavior in extreme conditions. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How does Sine(Infinity) differ from regular sine functions?

Sine(Infinity) is a concept that deals with the behavior of sine functions as the input approaches infinity, whereas regular sine functions have a fixed input value. This means that Sine(Infinity) has a more abstract and theoretical approach compared to regular sine functions.

4. What are some real-world examples of Sine(Infinity) in action?

One example of Sine(Infinity) in action is in the study of wave phenomena, such as ocean waves or sound waves. It can also be applied in the study of oscillating systems, such as pendulums or springs.

5. What are some challenges in studying Sine(Infinity)?

One of the main challenges in studying Sine(Infinity) is the abstract and theoretical nature of the concept. It may also require a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts, making it a complex subject to grasp for some individuals.