Equation for Permeability of an electromagnetic core

In summary, the speaker is new and looking for help with calculating the permeability of the core material for an electromagnet project. They are using ferrite as the core material and want to find the flux density and force it will exert. They have searched online but couldn't find useful information and are considering measuring the inductance to calculate the permeability. They also mention that the manufacturer may have this information available.
Jake110
well i hope I am posting this in the right section, I am new here.

im making some electromagnets for a personal project I am doing but i want to get all the calculations done before i get all the materials and actually build the thing.

i need to know what/if there is an equation to find the permeability of the core material of an electromagnet. the type I am making are solenoids and i was thinking of using ferrite (alpha iron) as the core material. so its going to be a pipe/tube of ferrite with insulated copper wire wrapped around it and a patch of air through the middle.

i searched around on the internet but couldn't find anything usfull, oh and it needs to be an equation that's doesn't use the magnet flux density because I am trying to find the permeaility so i can then find the flux density which i can go on to find the force it will pull an object relative to its distance from the magnet. ill work out the last bit after i get the permeability.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you're buying this core, that data should be available from the manufacturer. I the manufacturer is unknown or you're making the core yourself (!) the easiest way is to just measure the inductance of a known, small number of turns and calculate it from that.

i was thinking that i might have to get the info from the manufacturer but it was worth asking, thanks for the help.

1. What is the equation for permeability of an electromagnetic core?

The equation for permeability of an electromagnetic core is μ = μ0μr, where μ is the permeability, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and μr is the relative permeability of the core material.

2. How is permeability measured?

Permeability is measured in units of Henrys per meter (H/m) or Tesla meters per ampere (Tm/A).

3. What factors affect the permeability of an electromagnetic core?

The permeability of an electromagnetic core is affected by the material it is made of, its shape and size, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

4. Can the permeability of an electromagnetic core be changed?

Yes, the permeability of an electromagnetic core can be changed by altering the material it is made of or by applying external magnetic fields to it.

5. Why is the permeability of an electromagnetic core important?

The permeability of an electromagnetic core is important because it determines how much magnetic flux can pass through the core, which affects the performance of electromagnetic devices such as transformers and inductors.