Rotating disk with friction on the boundary

In summary, the person is experiencing difficulty with a 2D problem involving a rotating disk with friction on the boundary. They are seeking an analytical formula for the radial, tangential and shear stress, but have not been successful in finding one in books they have read. They are also unsure about using the Airy's function method and are open to suggestions. They mention possibly finding a solution in Shigleys machine design book.
Fabiez
Hi everybody!

I'm having some problem with the following system...

I have a 2D problem, a disk is rotating with constant velocity, but there is a friction on the boundary due to the contact between the disk and the surrounding material. I'd like to find the analytical formula of the radial, tangential and shear stress.

I've read many books but in each book the problem is solved without friction and without bodyload. If you have more specific books to suggest I'll be very happy!

I've tried to use the Airy's function method, but I'm not sure, also because the fomula that I've obtained yield to strange value.. can anyone suggest me how to solve such a problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There may be something in Shigleys machine design book?

1. What is a rotating disk with friction on the boundary?

A rotating disk with friction on the boundary is a physical system where a disk is able to rotate around a fixed axis while experiencing friction at its edges or boundaries.

2. What causes a rotating disk to experience friction on the boundary?

The friction on the boundary of a rotating disk can be caused by various factors such as air resistance, surface roughness, or external forces acting on the disk.

3. How does friction affect the rotation of a disk?

Friction on the boundary of a rotating disk can cause a decrease in the speed of rotation over time, as well as changes in the direction of rotation due to the torque generated by the frictional force.

4. Can the amount of friction on the boundary be controlled?

Yes, the amount of friction on the boundary of a rotating disk can be controlled by adjusting the surface roughness, lubrication, or external forces acting on the disk.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rotating disk with friction on the boundary?

Rotating disks with friction on the boundary are commonly used in machines such as brake systems, engines, and turbines. They are also used in experiments to study the effects of friction on rotational motion.