Graphing Sinc Function on TI-89 and TI-84 | Step-by-Step Tutorial

In summary, to graph a sinc function on a TI-84 calculator, the equation must be entered as sinc(x) = sin(pi X) / (pi X) with parentheses around the pi X in the denominator. The calculator may also require bracketing of the pi X term. Once properly entered, the graph will show oscillations decreasing in amplitude from the highest point at x=0 to zero at x=infinity.
tenacity2986
how to graph sinc function on ti-84

sinc(x) = sin(pi X) / pi X

solution:

sinc(x) = sin(pi X) / (pi X)

yes it was that simple!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
tenacity2986 said:
how to graph sinc function on ti-84

sinc(x) = sin(pi X) / pi X

Can you graph sin(pi X)? That would be a good start. And then...

its not that it doesn't graph the function, but it graphs it backwards or something. From 0, it oscilllates with higher and higher amplitude to infinity and to negative infinity.

The highest oscillation is suppose to be at 1 when x=0 and oscillate down from x=0 to zero at x= infinity.

check the x and y axis

Have a look at the graph on Wolfram Alpha. It does oscillate with decreasing amplitude as you describe.

I had to bracket the Pi X bit to ( Pi X) to get it accepting the X on the bottom line. Maybe your calculator is doing the same thing. Bringing the X to the top would give a rising amplitude.

I just graphed the right hand side of the equation, otherwise it gave very peculiar squiggly lines. Try just graphing the right hand side of the equation.

thankyouu veryy much to everyone for encouraging a solution in our communityyy here! i hope to give back to your questions in the same way you've helped me... It was a super trivial solution which when dividing by pi*x, i had to put parenthesis! duhhh! and u would think a senior in EE would know how to use his calculatorr! LOL

tenacity2986 said:
thankyouu veryy much to everyone for encouraging a solution in our communityyy here! i hope to give back to your questions in the same way you've helped me... It was a super trivial solution which when dividing by pi*x, i had to put parenthesis! duhhh! and u would think a senior in EE would know how to use his calculatorr! LOL

Knowing your calculator's subtleties for input is one thing. Knowing how to use a keyboard is another... :rolleyes:

Glad we were able to help.

What is the Sinc function?

The Sinc function, also known as the "sine cardinal function", is a mathematical function that is defined as the ratio of the sine function to its argument. It is commonly used in signal processing and is known for its characteristic oscillating shape.

Why is it important to graph the Sinc function on TI-89 and TI-84 calculators?

The Sinc function can be difficult to visualize and understand without a graph. Graphing it on TI-89 and TI-84 calculators allows for a better understanding of its behavior and properties, and can also help with solving mathematical problems involving the Sinc function.

How do I graph the Sinc function on my TI-89 calculator?

To graph the Sinc function on a TI-89 calculator, follow these steps: 1) Press the F3 button to access the "Graph" menu. 2) Select "New..." and enter the equation "sin(x)/x" in the "Y1=" field. 3) Press the "Graph" button to see the graph of the Sinc function.

How do I graph the Sinc function on my TI-84 calculator?

To graph the Sinc function on a TI-84 calculator, follow these steps: 1) Press the Y= button to access the "Y=" menu. 2) Enter the equation "sin(x)/x" into one of the unused function slots. 3) Press the "Graph" button to see the graph of the Sinc function.

Can I change the appearance of the Sinc function graph on my calculator?

Yes, both TI-89 and TI-84 calculators allow for customization of the graph appearance. You can change the window settings, add labels and axes, and adjust the graph style. Refer to the user manual for your specific calculator model for instructions on how to do this.