Seemingly simple quantum mechanics/linear algebra problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of a given matrix, with advice given on using the normal eigenvalue equation and how to write matrices in LaTeX. The poster also shares their attempted solution and asks for clarification on a specific step. The conversation ends with a reminder to include the 1/\sqrt{2} factor in the calculations and a clarification that the value of a canceled variable can be chosen for simplicity.
Void123

Homework Statement

For some reason, I am making a trivial mistake somewhere. I just need to find the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of the following matrix:

H = (1/sqrt(2))*Matrix(Row 1 Row 2 Row 3)

Row 1 = [0 -i 0]
Row 2 = [i 3 3]
Row 3 = [0 3 0]

(Sorry, I don't know the proper latex code for a matrix)

If someone can work this out and just provide the solutions so I can compare, I would really appreciate it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the normal eigenvalue equation:

[tex]
\det(H-\lambda\mathbb{I})=0
[/tex]

Solve for [tex]\lambda[/tex] (you should have 3 values since you have a [tex]3\times3[/tex] matrix).

For the eigenvectors,

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&-i&0 \\ i&3&3 \\ 0&3&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right)=\lambda\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

where you have to do this as many times as you have [tex]\lambda[/tex] values. That should help you a lot

PS: to write matrices in LaTeX, use the command \begin{array} & \end{array}. The following produced the matrix above:

\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&-i&0 \\ i&3&3 \\ 0&3&0\end{array}\right)

Void123 said:
Row 1 = [0 -i 0]
Row 2 = [i 3 3]
Row 3 = [0 3 0]

(Sorry, I don't know the proper latex code for a matrix)

Click on the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] image below to see the code that generated it

[tex]H=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i & 0 \\ i & 3 & 3 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

If someone can work this out and just provide the solutions so I can compare, I would really appreciate it.

You've been here long enough to know that isn't what we do here.

I tried.

Then show us!

I forgot the [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] constant in front of my matrix for the eigenvectors, it should read:

[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&-i&0 \\ i&3&3 \\ 0&3&0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\ \z\end{array}\right)=\lambda\left(\begin{array}{c} x\\y\\z\end{array}\right)

[/tex]

Thanks guys.

For my eigenvalues, I got [tex]\lambda = 0, -2, 5[/tex]

For the last two eigenvalues, when I set up the linear equations to solve I get something of the sort [tex]cy = cy[/tex] for one of them. What does that mean for [tex]y[/tex]? When the authors of my textbook do an example like this and run into the same situation, they postulate that [tex]y = 1[/tex]. But how is that when the variable cancels out on both sides?

Thanks again.

Void123 said:
Thanks guys.

For my eigenvalues, I got [tex]\lambda = 0, -2, 5[/tex]

Try it again without forgetting the factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex]...:wink:

Void123 said:
For the last two eigenvalues, when I set up the linear equations to solve I get something of the sort [tex]cy = cy[/tex] for one of them. What does that mean for [tex]y[/tex]? When the authors of my textbook do an example like this and run into the same situation, they postulate that [tex]y = 1[/tex]. But how is that when the variable cancels out on both sides?

Thanks again.

Doesn't that answer your question? If the authors are allowed to set a canceled variable to be 1, doesn't that mean you can too? Usually you let the canceled variable be 1 for simplicity, but you can make it a billion if you really wanted, it'll just make your later calculations a bit more difficult.

But as Gabba suggested, you should add in that [tex]1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] factor to find your eigenvalues before you turn in your assignment.

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to linear algebra?

Quantum mechanics is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with energy. It is based on the principles of linear algebra, which provides a mathematical framework for describing the properties and behavior of quantum systems.

2. Can you give an example of a seemingly simple quantum mechanics/linear algebra problem?

An example of a seemingly simple problem could be calculating the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix representing the spin state of an electron in a magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of solving quantum mechanics problems using linear algebra?

Linear algebra allows us to represent complex quantum systems in a more manageable and understandable way. It also provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for studying and analyzing quantum phenomena.

4. Are there any real-world applications of quantum mechanics and linear algebra?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of quantum mechanics and linear algebra, including quantum computing, cryptography, and material design. These fields rely on the principles of quantum mechanics and the mathematical tools of linear algebra to solve complex problems and develop new technologies.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of linear algebra to study quantum mechanics?

While a strong understanding of linear algebra is helpful in studying quantum mechanics, it is not always necessary. Many introductory courses in quantum mechanics will cover the necessary linear algebra concepts, and there are also resources available to help bridge any gaps in understanding. However, a solid understanding of linear algebra can greatly enhance one's understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.