Thermal Equilibrium of Blocks In Contact -

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Einstein model of a solid to calculate and plot ln(W1) versus q1, ln(W2) versus q1, and ln(Wtotal) versus q1 for two nano particles consisting of iron atoms. The goal was to determine the approximate temperature of the objects when they are in equilibrium, using the equations for number of micro states, entropy, vibrational energy levels, and temperature. The person asking for help encountered difficulties with the calculations and asked for guidance.
Heisenberg.

Homework Statement

A nano particle consisting of four iron atoms (object 1) initially has 1 quantum of energy. It is brought into contact with another nano particle, consisting of two iron atoms (object 2), which has 2 quanta of energy. The mass of one mole of iron is 56 gram.

a. Using the Einstein model of a solid, calculate and plot ln(W1) versus q1 (the number of quanta of object 1), ln(W2) versus q1, and ln(Wtotal) versus q1 (put all three plots on the same graph). Show your work and explain how you obtained the results shown.
b. Calculate the approximate temperature of the objects when they are in equilibrium. State clearly what assumptions or approximations you made.

Homework Equations

Number of micro states:
Omega=(q + N-1)! / q!(N-1)!
Definition of entropy S:
S = k ln(Omega)
Vibrational Energy Levels:
E=N(h-bar)(ksubs/m)^1/2
Definition of temperature T:
T= (c(change)q)/(change)s

The Attempt at a Solution

First I made a chart with q1, q2, W(omega)1, W2, S1 and S2.
The question limits us to four quantum states (0,1,2,3) - those are the values of q1 respectivley. q2 would be (3,2,1,0) when dealing with the number of micro states equations q=q1 and N=q2 - though my numbers for omega one came out wrong with the q1's and q2's I assumed my W was (1,2,1,-1/3) - obviously it is impossible for the W to be decreasing Another thing to note that the ksubs in the vibrational energy equation is equal to the constant c needed in the temperature equation I thinkm as well as the entropy equation. I have hit a block and I am not sure how to get around this - either my q's are wrong or I am manipulating the equation incorrectly, or i have totally missed the concept.

please, PLEASE help - the textbook is lacking of proper explanation and I could not find specifically to the best of my knowledge what I needed to online - I very much appreciate any help, thank-you.

**in addition - please let me know if this problem is being worked on, if it is not and it is because I have not given enough information or there is some other form of error let me know and I will fix it promptly - thanks

*** I do not need help with the actual graphing part, I am just having trouble filling out the table with the necessary information that in the end is needed to do the actual graphing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
again, please let me know if I was not clear enough : )

sorry to bump - but i really need the help, any thoughts or ideas at all?

please let me know if there is any reason in paticular this question was not answered - i don't mean to sound pushy, I just want to know if there was something I did wrong.

bumping is juvenile, i know...

sigh bump

oh god can't anyone out there help me- this is only a freshman class. I know your all smart and are apt enough in this field to at least give me some pointers- share the knowledge of physics please!

HELLPPPP - the test is in 4 hours, I really need to understand this, thank - you

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE AGAINST THIS PROBLEM?! ahh i give up on this, lost cause

1. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two or more objects are at the same temperature and there is no net transfer of heat between them.

2. How does thermal equilibrium occur between blocks in contact?

Thermal equilibrium between blocks in contact occurs when the molecules of the blocks collide with each other, causing the transfer of heat energy until both blocks reach the same temperature.

3. Why is thermal equilibrium important in scientific experiments?

Thermal equilibrium is important in scientific experiments because it ensures that the results are accurate and consistent. Without thermal equilibrium, one block may be hotter or colder than the other, leading to false conclusions.

4. How does the surface area of the blocks affect thermal equilibrium?

The surface area of the blocks does not affect thermal equilibrium as long as the blocks are in contact with each other. However, a larger surface area may lead to a faster transfer of heat energy between the blocks.

5. Can two objects at different temperatures reach thermal equilibrium?

Yes, two objects at different temperatures can reach thermal equilibrium by being in contact with each other. The hotter object will transfer heat energy to the colder object until they reach the same temperature.