Is There a General Formula for Finding the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the Nth power of a general 2x2 real matrix, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The formula for An is provided, but it is noted that not every 2x2 matrix is diagonalizable. A clarification is made regarding the solution for pq=0.
pbandjay
I am trying to find the Nth power of a general 2x2 real matrix. This seemed simple at first, but I am running into trouble of finding general eigenvectors and cannot figure out where to go.

[tex]A = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \mbox{ with } a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

For my purposes, it is an element of SL(2,R), therefore det(A) = ad - bc = 1. I am trying to find An using An = PDnP-1. To find the eigenvalues:

[tex]\det(A - \lambda{I_2}) = \left| \begin{array}{cc} a - \lambda & b \\ c & d - \lambda \end{array} \right| = (a-\lambda)(d-\lambda) - bc = \lambda^2 - (a + d)\lambda + ad - bc = \lambda^2 - (a + d)\lambda + 1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_{1,2} = \frac{a+d \pm \sqrt{(a+d)^2 - 4}}{2}[/tex]

To find eigenvectors:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array} \right) = \lambda \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]ax + by = \lambda x[/tex]
[tex]cx + dy = \lambda y[/tex]

Solving the first for y and inserting y into the second equation:

[tex]y = \frac{x(\lambda - a)}{b}[/tex]

[tex]cx + \frac{dx(\lambda - a)}{b} = \frac{\lambda x(\lambda - a)}{b}[/tex]

The only solution I can see for this is (x,y) = (0,0), whether I use for first or second eigenvalue, which doesn't make sense to me. I would think that there would have to be some way to find a general formula since it is easy to use this method to find numerical examples of diagonalization and such. Or maybe I am missing something. My knowledge of linear algebra isn't very strong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pbandjay said:
To find eigenvectors …

Hi pbandjay! :smile:

(nice LaTeX, btw :wink:)

For the eigenvectors, all you need is the ratio y/x,

so just go back to your y = x(λ - a)/b (or y = xc/(λ - d), which is the same thing). :smile:

Ah, of course. That helps a lot, thank you!

I finally found the formula for An, but I'm afraid it isn't telling me what I expected. I may have think of some other ways to solve my question. But thank you!

Last edited:
Not every 2 x 2 matrix is diagonalizable.

pbandjay said:
The only solution I can see for this is (x,y) = (0,0)
q=0 is not the only solution to pq=0...

1. What is the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix?

The Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix refers to raising a 2x2 matrix to the Nth power, where N is a positive integer. This means multiplying the matrix by itself N times.

2. How is the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix calculated?

The Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix is calculated by first finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, the matrix can be diagonalized using these eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Finally, the diagonalized matrix is raised to the Nth power, and the resulting matrix is transformed back to its original form.

3. Why is the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix useful?

The Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra, physics, and computer science. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, represent transformations in geometry, and perform operations in computer graphics and image processing.

4. Is there a limit to the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix?

There is no limit to the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix. As N increases, the resulting matrix may become larger and more complex, but the process of raising a matrix to a power can continue indefinitely.

5. Can the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix be negative or fractional?

Yes, the Nth Power of a 2x2 Matrix can be raised to any positive, negative, or fractional power. However, the resulting matrix may not be a 2x2 matrix anymore and may not have the same properties as the original matrix.