Helping High Schoolers with Physics: Tips and Tricks for Tutoring Success

In summary, the conversation discusses a tutoring session with a high school student who is struggling with a physics problem involving a mass attached to a string over a pulley. The tutor suggests using Newton's second law and drawing force diagrams to solve the problem, but the student has never learned how to do so. The tutor also asks for advice on how to help the student learn and enjoy physics. In conclusion, it is recommended to teach the student how to draw force diagrams and to review his textbook and notes to better understand the problem. It is also suggested to ask the student to explain the method he was using in class and to clarify any misunderstandings.
Gamma
I am going to tutor a high school student. I had an initial meeting with him and learned that he is using Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt. During the initial consultation, the student had a few questions to ask. It was a typical problem where a mass on the table is attached to a string. The string passes over a pulley at the edge of the table. The other end of the string is attached to a hanging mass. Question is to find the acceleration of the masses. My immediate approach was to use Newton's second law to both masses and solve for acceleration. But the student has never learned how to draw force diagrams. He did not know about the tension on the string. This is my first experience with a high school student although I have college teaching experience. Is there any other approach to this problem?

Also, do you have any advice as to how to help high school students to learn and like physics? In two weeks, the boy has his mid-term test and he needs my help.

Thank you for any suggestions and advice.

Gamma.

Science news on Phys.org
I know of no simpler way of approaching this problem than to draw force diagrams. You can do it using Langrangian mechanics, but that'd be way over his head.

Gamma said:
Also, do you have any advice as to how to help high school students to learn and like physics?

Teach him how to draw force diagrams. It doesn't take that long and he needs to know how to do them for his exam (force diagrams show up in high school physics.) Look at how his textbook solves the problem and work from there. If it's in his textbook, that's the level he's supposed to be at.

Thanks. His book did not have anything similar to this problem. But one of the end of chapter questions was similar to this one. But it had three diagrams with different mass combinations. In diagram 1, the hanging mass is larger than the one on the table. In diagram 2, masses were interchanged. In diagram 3, masses were same. Question was to compare the accelerations. Again, looking at this problem, it occurs to me that the student might not be expected to do the math. But, how else would you do this?

Gamma

Gamma said:
But, how else would you do this?

How does the chapter the problem is in approach the other problems in the chapter? Are there any formulas in the chapter? Ask to see his notes (hope he's taken some) and try to sort out how his teacher is teaching this.

The http://www.conceptualphysics.com/links.shtml [Broken] on the book's webpage suggest using a free body approach.

Another idea is that it's an extension of the atwood machine problem 'cause the table is frictionless. [URL [Broken] problems
about accelerating systems[/url]
http://wug.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/per/phys111/ie.pl?03/IE_2_blocks_edge [Broken]

I think you're basically supposed to do FBD's without calling them such. You think about "separable component forces" instead and push<->pull. The hanging mass pulls on the other mass, so it's causing the mass to move, but since they have a string connecting them they're moving at the same rate. So if one thing pulls another, how fast do they have to be moving? How do we know this? You're basically just explaining stuff without touching the math too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
plusplustutor said:
I would ask the student to explain the method they were using in class. There is a chance they were covering force diagrams in class but he just doesn't understand them.

That was exactly my thought as I read the OP. He may need tutoring simply because he doesn't pay enough attention in class to know he's already been taught these basic essentials. And, if for some crazy reason they don't teach them free body diagrams in his class, it sure won't hurt to show him how to use them. If you're calling them "force diagrams," he may also not understand that is the same thing as a "free body diagram" which is what they are more typically called.

1. What are the benefits of tutoring for high school students?

Tutoring can provide numerous benefits for high school students. It can improve their academic performance, boost their confidence, and help them develop important study skills. Tutoring also offers personalized attention and support, allowing students to ask questions and receive individualized instruction.

2. How do you assess a high school student's needs for tutoring?

Assessing a student's needs for tutoring involves various methods. This can include reviewing their academic records, conducting initial assessments to identify areas of weakness, and having discussions with the student and/or their parents. A tutor may also gather feedback from teachers to better understand the student's specific needs.

3. What qualifications should a tutor have when working with high school students?

A tutor working with high school students should have strong subject knowledge, excellent communication skills, and experience working with students in this age group. They should also have a degree in the subject they are tutoring or relevant teaching experience. Additionally, it is beneficial for a tutor to have a positive attitude, patience, and the ability to adapt to different learning styles.

4. What can parents do to support the tutoring process for their high school student?

Parents play an important role in supporting their high school student's tutoring process. They can ensure their child attends scheduled tutoring sessions, communicates openly with the tutor, and completes any assigned work. Parents can also provide a quiet and organized study space at home and offer encouragement and motivation to their child.

5. How often should a high school student attend tutoring sessions?

The frequency of tutoring sessions will depend on the individual needs of the student. It is recommended that high school students attend tutoring sessions at least once or twice a week for optimal progress. However, this may vary depending on the student's academic goals and schedule.