Solving Projectile Motion Confusion: Time and Distance Calculations

In summary, the problem involves a stone being thrown horizontally from a height of 10m with a constant velocity of 5m/s. Using the equations of motion, the time it takes to hit the ground and the distance traveled can be calculated. The equations used are x = vot+1/2at2 and y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)*g* t ^2 for the horizontal and vertical movements respectively. By solving for t in the vertical equation and substituting it in the horizontal equation, the time and distance can be determined.
tomsdubs

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown horizontally from a height of 10m above ground and moves with constant velocity of 5m/s. Calculate:

a) the time it will take to hit the ground
b) the distance traveled in the calculated time

Homework Equations

Now for a i am using x = vot+1/2at2 but i just cannot get my head around it
I understand that b will be velocity x time?

The Attempt at a Solution

10 = 0 x t +1/2 x 9.81 xt2
10 = ?

I just have some kind of mental block going on, I've read my textbooks and websites but no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have left out the term which involves initial position but since your acceleration is positive you will still get the right answer. Other than that, you're incredibly close. Try using Latex in the future so we can read your equations without getting a headache.

first off:
g = 9.81

y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)*g* t ^2

(notice the minus, since the accelaration is negative - gravity pulls the body down, if we convention the y-axis is pointing up)
also, notice y0 (inital position in the vertical axis) = 10
and the vertical component of the initial velocity = 0
so:
1) y = 10 - 1/2*g*t^2

also : x = x0 + v0x*t +1/2 a t^2
so
we know that the horizontal accelaration, and the horizontal position at t=0 equal 0, and v0 = 5 so:
2) x = 0 + 5*t + 0

We want to know at what time the object hits the ground, so y = 0. substitute it in the 1) equation.

Solve the equation:

0 = 10 - 1/2*9.8*t^2.

then, substitute t in the 2) equation and solve it.

I still don't get it :/ This is driving me insane. My physics teacher is useless, we never do enough examples.

okay:
First of all, i recommend you try and draw the problem, as it always help to understand.
So, you need two equations, one for the horizontal movement, and one for the vertical, since the object will move both horizontally (it has a horizontal speed), and vertically (it's falling)

it's initial position can be given by the vector (x,y) = (0,5)

Horizontal :
[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{x} \times t + \frac{1}{2} \times a \times t^{2}[/tex]

Vertical:
[tex]y = y_{0} + v_{y} \times t + \frac{1}{2} \times g \times t^{2}[/tex]

g = 9.81

first you want to know at what time it hits the ground, so, you just need the vertical equation. It hits the ground when y = 0.
[tex]y_{0}[/tex] , is the initial vertical position. Since it's 10m above the ground, it equals 10.
v_{y} = 0, because there is no initial velocity downwards or upwards, and the accelaration is, as stated, 9.81. Since the movement is downwards, the accelaration is negative (of course this depends on the referential you choose, but generally speaking, it's simpler this way)
Therefor :

Vertical:
[tex]0 = 10 + 0 \times t - \frac{1}{2} \times g \times t^{2}[/tex]

[tex]t = \sqrt{\frac{10 \times 2}{g}}[/tex]

solve that, and you have the time it hits the floor.

Then you need to know the distance it traveled.

Now, you need the horizontal equation.
We know it's initial horizontal position is 0, initial velocity 5, and there is no accelaration given, so:

[tex]x = 0 + 5 \times t + 0[/tex]

Now, take the t you got from your first equation, and substitute it here. Now you do the math.

This is the general basis for projectile based problems: You should remember it.
You have to consider always an equation for each axis of movement, consider the velocity in each axis, the initial position in each axis, and the accelaration.

Thankyou Fanta, makes sense now.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical components of motion. The horizontal component remains constant, while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in certain situations.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R= (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Why is projectile motion important in science?

Projectile motion is important in science because it helps us understand the laws of motion and gravity. It is also applicable in many real-world situations, such as sports and engineering, and can be used to predict the motion of objects in these scenarios.