Solving Fractions When Numerator Has Higher Degree

In summary, when dividing a fraction where the numerator has a higher degree than the denominator, the result will be an integer plus a remainder expressed as a fraction with the original denominator. This can be checked by multiplying the result with one of the terms.
Oblakastouf
Alright... What are the rules for when the numerator (Top part) of the fraction has a higher degree than the lower part of the fraction.

Something + {*}

... As in what is that SOMETHING based on the numbers?

I have a midterm in like... 50 minutes and this is the only thing I need to know.

Physics news on Phys.org

Then you divide the two and you have an integer plus the remainder, where the numerator will have a smaller degree than the denominator. The process of dividing may take a little time but it is easy to check if you have the right answer (by simply multiplying your answer with one of the terms). Do you have a specific example?

VeeEight said:
Then you divide the two and you have an integer plus the remainder, where the numerator will have a smaller degree than the denominator. The process of dividing may take a little time but it is easy to check if you have the right answer (by simply multiplying your answer with one of the terms). Do you have a specific example?
Since you are talking about a fraction in which the numerator and denominator are polynomials, dividing will give you a polynomial (which corresponds to an integer in "regular" arithmetic) and remainder. The original fraction is equal to that polynomial plus a fraction with the remainder in the numerator, the original denominator as denominator.

1. How do I solve fractions when the numerator has a higher degree than the denominator?

To solve fractions in this case, you will need to divide the numerator by the denominator to get a whole number and a remainder. Then, you can express the remainder as a fraction with the same denominator as the original fraction. The final answer will be the whole number plus the fraction in its simplest form.

2. Can I simplify the fraction if the numerator has a higher degree?

Yes, you can still simplify the fraction by dividing the numerator by the denominator and expressing the remainder as a fraction. This will give you the simplest form of the fraction.

3. What if the numerator and denominator have different degrees?

In this case, you will need to find the least common multiple (LCM) of the two degrees. Then, you can rewrite the fraction with equivalent terms using the LCM as the new denominator. This will allow you to solve the fraction as usual.

4. How do I know if my final answer is in its simplest form?

To check if your final answer is in its simplest form, you can try dividing the numerator and denominator by the same number. If the result is a whole number, then your answer is in its simplest form.

5. Can I solve fractions with variables in the numerator with a higher degree?

Yes, you can solve fractions with variables in the numerator as long as you follow the same steps of dividing the numerator by the denominator and expressing the remainder as a fraction. You can then simplify the fraction if possible.