As level Non-Uniform Plank question.

• Thread starter templarbaza
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a non-uniform plank of wood with a length of 6m and a mass of 90kg, supported at its two ends A and B. A woman of mass 60kg stands on the plank at point C, where AC=2m. The plank is in equilibrium and the magnitudes of the reactions at A and B are equal. Using the equations of moments, we can determine that the magnitude of the reaction at B is equal to 75kg and the distance of the centre of mass of the plank from A is 3.53m. It is also important to account for the weight of the woman and the reaction force at B when finding the centre of mass.
templarbaza

Homework Statement

A non-uniform plank of wood AB has length 6m and mass 90kg. The plank is smoothly supported at its two ends A and B, with A and B at the same horizontal level. A woman of mass 60kg stands on the plank at the point C, where AC=2m. The plank is in equilibrium and the magnitudes of the reactions at A and B are equal. the plank is modeled as a non-uniform rod and the woman as a particle.

Find

(a) the magnitude of the reaction on the blank at B,

(b) the distance of the centre of mass of the plank from A.

Homework Equations

Moment = Fx

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A i was thinking total down = total up, if that's the case you have 90g+60g = 150g if that's the case would b = 75g as its equilibrium?

also I would take moments about point A for question (b) however I do no know what i would do from there.

Help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi templarbaza! Welcome to PF! :smile:
templarbaza said:
… the magnitudes of the reactions at A and B are equal.

For part A i was thinking total down = total up, if that's the case you have 90g+60g = 150g if that's the case would b = 75g as its equilibrium?

Correct! (well, except that kg would be better! :biggrin:)
also I would take moments about point A for question (b) however I do no know what i would do from there.

Call the distance from A to the centre of mass "x", and it should work out. :wink:

What do you get? :smile:

well, I did 90x2 + 75x6 = 530

then I am not quite sure, do you divide it by 150?

if so i got x = 3.53m

templarbaza said:
well, I did 90x2 + 75x6 = 530

then I am not quite sure, do you divide it by 150?

if so i got x = 3.53m

(if you're using x for distance, use * for times)

Have you drawn the forces?

What are the three forces, and where are they?

hmm I am not sure,

ac = 2m

c = 60kg

60 * 2 = 120 (woman x distance from point a)

75 * 6 = 450 (a x force at point B) < --- not sure about that and from this point onward.

570 / 120 = x

x = 4.75m

Im not sure I know you have a force created by the woman, one by the plank what is the third force?

If I have the right method but am using the wrong information i would like some more hints =]

Last edited:
templarbaza said:
Im not sure I know you have a force created by the woman,

Don't talk like that, it will confuse you …

it isn't "a force created by the woman", it's the weight of the woman.
one by the plank what is the third force?

The other two forces are the reaction force at B, and the weight of the plank at its centre of mass.

Thanks for the help. so by accounting for the weight of the woman and the reaction force at B and dividing by the weight of the plank would give the Center of Mass (x)

(just got up :zzz: …)
templarbaza said:
Thanks for the help. so by accounting for the weight of the woman and the reaction force at B and dividing by the weight of the plank would give the Center of Mass (x)

Yes. :smile:

What is the Non-Uniform Plank question?

The Non-Uniform Plank question is a physics problem that involves finding the moment of inertia of a non-uniform plank, which is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion.

How do you solve the Non-Uniform Plank question?

To solve the Non-Uniform Plank question, you will need to use the formula for moment of inertia, which is I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the infinitesimal mass of each section of the plank. You will also need to use the parallel axis theorem to account for the non-uniformity of the plank.

What information is needed to solve the Non-Uniform Plank question?

To solve the Non-Uniform Plank question, you will need to know the dimensions and mass of the plank, as well as its shape and distribution of mass. You will also need to know the axis of rotation and any other relevant information, such as the force applied to the plank.

What are some common mistakes when solving the Non-Uniform Plank question?

Some common mistakes when solving the Non-Uniform Plank question include forgetting to account for the non-uniformity of the plank, using the incorrect formula for moment of inertia, or not converting units correctly. It is also important to double check your calculations and ensure all necessary information is included.

What real-world applications does the Non-Uniform Plank question have?

The Non-Uniform Plank question has many real-world applications, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a car's wheels to improve handling and stability, or determining the moment of inertia of a beam in a building to prevent structural failure. It is also used in the design of various machines and structures that involve rotational motion.