Matrix of linear transformation

In summary, the task is to find the matrix of the transformation T: R^2 -> R^2x2, given by T(a,b) = [a 0; 0 b]. The solution involves using standard bases for R^2 and R^2x2 and mapping the basis vectors (1,0) and (0,1) to the 4 basis vectors of R^2x2. However, this results in a matrix with too many basis vectors and does not work when multiplied by the column vector (a,b). The correct solution is to use the basis vectors with 1 only in the i,j position and zeroes everywhere else, resulting in a 2x2 matrix. The dimension of R
lockedup

Homework Statement

Find the matrix of the transformation:

[tex]T: R^{2} \rightarrow R^{2x2}[/tex]

[tex]
\[
T(a,b) =
\left[ {\begin{array}{cc}
a & 0 \\
0 & b \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I choose the standard bases for [tex]R^{2}[/tex] and [tex]R^{2x2}[/tex] and call them b and b' respectively.

[tex]T(1,0) = 1e_{1} + 0e_{2} + 0e_{3} + 0e_{4}[/tex]
[tex]T(0,1) = 0e_{1} + 0e_{2} + 0e_{3} + 1e_{4}[/tex]

This gives me a matrix of

[tex]
\[
\left[ {\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\][/tex]

However, this doesn't work when I multiply by the column vector (a,b). I get a column vector of (a, 0, 0, b) instead of a 2x2 matrix. What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your R^2x2 is the subspace of all 4x4 matrices of this given form, what is its dimension? You have too many basis vectors here.

radou said:
If your R^2x2 is the subspace of all 4x4 matrices of this given form, what is its dimension? You have too many basis vectors here.
R^2x2 is the space of all 2x2 matrices. It has 4 basis vectors with 1 in the i,j position and zeroes everywhere else.

1. What is a matrix of linear transformation?

A matrix of linear transformation is a mathematical representation of a linear transformation from one vector space to another. It consists of a rectangular array of numbers that represents the transformation of the coordinates of a vector from one basis to another.

2. How is a matrix of linear transformation used?

A matrix of linear transformation is used to perform various operations on vectors, such as rotating, scaling, shearing, and reflecting. It is also used to solve systems of linear equations and to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a linear transformation.

3. What is the relationship between a matrix of linear transformation and its eigenvectors?

The eigenvectors of a matrix of linear transformation are the vectors that are transformed by the matrix only by a scaling factor, without changing direction. They are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations and can be used to find the principal axes of a transformation.

4. Can a matrix of linear transformation be inverted?

Not all matrices of linear transformation can be inverted. Only matrices that are square and have a non-zero determinant can be inverted. This means that the transformation must not collapse any vectors to a single point or stretch them to infinity.

5. What is the difference between a matrix of linear transformation and a matrix of general transformation?

A matrix of linear transformation only represents transformations that preserve linearity, meaning that it transforms lines to lines and the origin remains fixed. A matrix of general transformation, on the other hand, can represent any type of transformation, including ones that do not preserve linearity.