Midpoint and Trapezoidal Rule (EASY)

• Thread starter medinaj2160
  • Start date
In summary: In the concave up case, the midpoint would be at the top left, and the trapezoidal rule would be used to calculate the area between the top left and right points. I could not do this due to the lack of information you have given, sorry.
medinaj2160
I am solving a sample test for my test on monday, this is the question:

Table(1) have results from applying the midpoint and trapezoidal rule on 2, 4 and 8 panels

npanels...midpoint...trapezoid

1) do these number support the claim that integrand is concave down? Why?

2) Calculate the value of Simpson's rule using 8 panels.

3) what is the minimum number of function evaluations needed to calculate Simpson's rule from scratch on 8 panels?

# 2 is easy: is 2/3(midpoint)+1/3(trappezoid)

Please help me with the other ones.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
medinaj2160 said:
I am solving a sample test for my test on monday, this is the question:

Table(1) have results from applying the midpoint and trapezoidal rule on 2, 4 and 8 panels

npanels...midpoint...trapezoid

1) do these number support the claim that integrand is concave down? Why?

2) Calculate the value of Simpson's rule using 8 panels.

3) what is the minimum number of function evaluations needed to calculate Simpson's rule from scratch on 8 panels?

# 2 is easy: is 2/3(midpoint)+1/3(trappezoid)

Please help me with the other ones.

Thanks

Please show us more of your work, per the PF Rules for schoolwork.

berkeman said:
Please show us more of your work, per the PF Rules for schoolwork.

there is nothing else to show

medinaj2160 said:
there is nothing else to show

Have you actually read the PF rules?

berkeman said:
Have you actually read the PF rules?

I have, but I don't understand your question. There is nothing else to show, there is no math involve on the other two steps. You or someone that knows what they are doing, should be able to answer question 1 and 3 by looking at the data.

You want more work

2) 2/3(2.28422520)+1/3(2.30015924)=2.28954

Happy?

Thanks, I just need some guidance or someone that can answer this simple question.

medinaj2160 said:
I have, but I don't understand your question. There is nothing else to show, there is no math involve on the other two steps. You or someone that knows what they are doing, should be able to answer question 1 and 3 by looking at the data.

You want more work

2) 2/3(2.28422520)+1/3(2.30015924)=2.28954

Happy?

Thanks, I just need some guidance or someone that can answer this simple question.

No, sorry. That doesn't help me. Part of the problem is that I don't understand what you are asking. If you could provide more details and background information, that would be a bit help. What is the "trapezoidal rule" that you are referring to? how does it apply to the numbers that you posted?

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but honestly, it would help if you posted a lot more background info, and lead us more into helping us provide hints to what you don't understand.

well, that how the question is written on the sample test.

Trapezoidal rule
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the quadrature rule for approximating integrals. For the Explicit trapezoidal rule for solving initial value problems, see Heun's method.
The function f(x) (in blue) is approximated by a linear function (in red).
Illustration of the composite trapezoidal rule (with a non-uniform grid)
Illustration of the composite trapezoidal rule (with a uniform grid)

In mathematics, the trapezium rule (also known as the trapezoid rule, or the trapezoidal rule in American English) is an approximate technique for calculating the definite integral

\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx.

The trapezoidal rule works by approximating the region under the graph of the function f(x) as a trapezoid and calculating its area. It follows that

\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\, dx \approx (b-a)\frac{f(a) + f(b)}{2}.

To calculate this integral more accurately, one first splits the interval of integration [a,b] into n smaller subintervals, and then applies the trapezoidal rule on each of them. One obtains the composite trapezoidal rule:

\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \approx \frac{b-a}{n} \left[ {f(a) + f(b) \over 2} + \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} f \left( a+k \frac{b-a}{n} \right) \right].

This can alternatively be written as:

\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \approx \frac{b-a}{2n} \left(f(x_0) + 2f(x_1) + 2f(x_2)+\cdots+2f(x_{n-1}) + f(x_n) \right)

where

x_k=a+k \frac{b-a}{n},\text{ for }k=0, 1, \dots, n

(one can not use a non-uniform grid, as the composite trapezoidal rule assumes equally sized segments).

midpoint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKtSR0_xf5g"

Last edited by a moderator:
Your extract from wikipedia is too algebraic for me. If you were to sketch the two cases: (1) concave down and (2) concave up, and draw on each the interpretation of the mid-point and trapezoidal rules, you might then see a way to answering the question.

What is the Midpoint Rule?

The Midpoint Rule is a method for estimating the area under a curve by dividing it into equal subintervals and approximating each subinterval with a rectangle whose height is the midpoint of the function values at the endpoints of the subinterval.

How accurate is the Midpoint Rule?

The Midpoint Rule is a first-order method, meaning that its accuracy is proportional to the width of the subintervals. The smaller the subintervals, the more accurate the estimation will be.

What is the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Trapezoidal Rule is a method for estimating the area under a curve by approximating each subinterval with a trapezoid whose height is the average of the function values at the endpoints of the subinterval.

How accurate is the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Trapezoidal Rule is a second-order method, meaning that its accuracy is proportional to the square of the width of the subintervals. It is generally more accurate than the Midpoint Rule.

When should I use the Midpoint Rule and when should I use the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Midpoint Rule is preferred when the function is concave up and the Trapezoidal Rule is preferred when the function is concave down. However, in most cases, using both methods and taking their average will result in a more accurate estimation.