How Do You Plot a Bending Moment Diagram for a Propped Cantilever Beam?

In summary, the problem involves a steel cantilever beam with a uniformly distributed load on a rectangular hollow section. The major axis of bending is used and the support reactions at A and B are calculated. The shear force and bending moment diagrams are also plotted, with the maximum bending moment value indicated. The maximum bending stress is calculated and the deflection at the midpoint between A and B is determined. To solve the problem, another equation must be used due to the fixed end at x=0.
db330

Homework Statement

A steel (Young's modulus = 210x109N/mm2) propped cantilever beam (Figure 1) supports a uniformly
distributed load (UDL) of 20kN/m. The beam cross section is a 150mm x 75mm x 8mm rectangular
hollow section (RHS), i.e. 150mm deep, 75mm wide and has an 8mm wall thickness. The cross
section is oriented so that bending occurs about its major axis of bending.
Figure 1
a) Calculate the support reactions at A and B,
b) Plot the shear force diagram,
c) Plot the bending moment diagram (on the tension side) and indicate maximum bending moment
value,
d) Calculate the maximum bending stress and state where it occurs,
e) Calculate the deflection at the mid-point between A and B.

i'm working on part c and am a bit confused as to how the bending moment diagram works.

Homework Equations

just moment equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the shear stress diagram and part of the bending moment.

the reaction forces at A and B are 26 2/3 and 53 1/3.

the equations
for Vx and Mx are as follows

0<=x<=3
Vx = 26 2/3 -20x
mx = 26 2/3 x - 10x2

3<=x<=4
Vx = 53 1/3 - 20x
Mx - 53 1/3 - 10x2

but the peace i struggle with I'm getting the end peace of the beam to deflect by a lot more then the middle part, so if you have any input it would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• bending moment.jpg
    bending moment.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 360
  • graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 349
  • graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
You are incorrectly treating this beam as one on pinned supports at x=0 and x=3, , but it is given that the end at x=0 is a fixed end, which is capable of providing both force and moment. The problem is staticallly indeterminate to the first degree, so you have to use another equation besides the static equilibrium equations in order to solve for the reaction forces and moments. Then once you get them, I'm not sure of your graph in the middle, it seems to be an attempt at a deflection curve and not a bending moment diagram.

What is bending moment?

Bending moment is a measure of the internal force or stress that a structural element experiences when subjected to an external load. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

How is bending moment calculated?

Bending moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a structural element by the distance from the point of application to the point of rotation. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

What is the significance of finding the bending moment?

Finding the bending moment is important in structural analysis and design. It helps engineers determine the stress and strength of a structural element, which is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of a structure.

What factors affect the bending moment?

The bending moment experienced by a structural element is affected by the type, magnitude, and location of the load applied. The material properties and cross-sectional shape of the element also play a role in determining the bending moment.

How can the bending moment be reduced?

The bending moment can be reduced by altering the design of the structure to distribute the load more evenly, using stronger or stiffer materials, or by adding additional supports. Properly accounting for the bending moment during the design phase can also help minimize its effects.