Physics Degree: Do I Need Chemistry?

In summary, it is highly likely that you will need to take chemistry in university if you want to get a degree in Physics. The specific requirements may vary by school, but most universities require at least two semesters of general chemistry. Even if you struggle with chemistry, it is not a major concern as there will be other challenges in pursuing a physics degree. Taking AP Chemistry may also help fulfill the requirement, depending on your performance on the AP test and the college's specific requirements. It is recommended to wait and take chemistry after completing some upper level physics classes, as it may be easier to do well in freshmen chemistry at that point.
anthonych414
Hey all, if I want to get a degree in Physics do I have to take chemistry in university, because I suck at it (I have an 83% in chemistry).

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost certainly, though it may depend on the school. My university requires two semesters of general chemistry.

You have an 83.. but you suck at it?

Wow, by those standards, I suck at most of my major.

I'm in the 9th grade so that's pretty bad for my class.

This is why I am took AP Chemistry...once and for all get rid of it

I fi take AP chemistry do I still have to take it in university?

anthonych414 said:
I fi take AP chemistry do I still have to take it in university?

Depends on how well you do on the AP test and the specific college's requirements.

Jack21222 said:
Depends on how well you do on the AP test and the specific college's requirements.

What he said!

Yea you will need to take chemistry. I wouldn't really worry that you "suck at it." There will be some challenges on the way to a physics degree and I would say that freshmen chemistry is not a big deal. If you are really worried, wait to take it if possible. Once you have conquered some upper level physics classes, freshmen chem will be a relatively easy A.

1. What is the relationship between physics and chemistry?

Physics and chemistry are closely related sciences that both deal with the study of matter and energy. Physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy, while chemistry deals with the composition, structure, and properties of matter and how it interacts with other substances.

2. Do I need a background in chemistry to pursue a degree in physics?

While a strong foundation in chemistry can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in physics, it is not necessary to have a background in chemistry to pursue a degree in physics. The two subjects have some overlap, but they also have distinct differences and can be studied separately.

3. Will I be required to take chemistry courses as part of a physics degree?

It depends on the specific program and university you choose. Some physics programs may require students to take a certain number of chemistry courses as part of their degree requirements. However, there are also physics programs that do not have any required chemistry courses and instead focus solely on physics-related coursework.

4. How does knowledge of chemistry benefit a physicist?

Having a basic understanding of chemistry can be beneficial for a physicist as it can help them better understand the properties and behavior of different materials, which is important in many areas of physics such as material science, nanotechnology, and astrophysics. It can also provide a broader perspective and allow for interdisciplinary research collaborations.

5. Can I major in both physics and chemistry?

Yes, many universities offer joint or double major programs in physics and chemistry for students who are interested in pursuing both subjects. This can be a rigorous and challenging academic path, but it can also open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, teaching, and industry.