Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the scenario of a photon passing two observers, A and B, in a constant gravitational field. A is in free-fall and B is fixed in position. They both make measurements and agree on the wavelength of the photon at t=0. The question is what wavelength B would observe at a later time t = 0 + T, and how it can be expressed in terms of v, c, g, w, and T. It is mentioned that A is unaware of the gravitational field and B would observe the photon blue shifting due to the gravitational field. The conversation also explores the concept of special relativity and how it applies to these non-inertial observers. The question of whether A and B
jeebs
hi,
my exam is tomorrow and I really need to understand this.

Imagine a region of constant gravitational field, directed "downwards". There is a photon traveling in this downward direction. There are two observers, A and B. At t=0, they do not have any relative velocity. However, B is fixed in position, whilst A is in free-fall. At time t=0, the photon passes the two observers, and they make measurements - both of them agree on the wavelength at this time.
I need to figure out what wavelength B observes at a time t = 0 + T later.
I also should express this in terms of (some or all of): v,c,g,w and T
where v is the relative velocity of the observers, c is obviously the speed of light, g is the constant, uniform gravitational field, T is the time that has elapsed since A was released from rest, and w is the photon wavelength.
Also, the time T is small enough that the velocity v is always far, far smaller than c.

So, what I thought was that, since A is in free-fall, he is completely unaware of any gravitational field. That means that, as far as A is aware, the photon is not going to increase its energy (and therefore shorten its wavelength) due to this gravitational field.

B on the other hand is fixed in place, so that he would notice the photon blue shifting as it travels in the direction of the gravitational field. This means at time T, the wavelength he measures should be shorter than w.

Also, in time T, the relative velocity between the two observers has increased from v=0 to v=gT. The separation of the two observers would therefore be y = vT = gT2.

However, this is where I start to get stuck. All the stuff I have done with doppler shifts has involved light shining from a source, where the observer and the source have some relative motion. In this situation though, the source isn't mentioned, it's just a photon.
This got me thinking about Einstein's postulate of special relativity - that the speed of light for any two inertial observers is the same.

However, in this case, the observers are not inertial. In observer B's frame, he is stationary whilst A accelerates away from him. As a result I am confused about what assumptions I can make, as according to observer B, observer A is a non-inertial observer. Do I still say that they both percieve the same value of c?

I am leaning towards the answer to that being no, because of what I have heard in lectures about the way the speed of light appears to certain observers/coordinate systems to become zero as a photon approaches a black hole's Schwarzschild radius. I must say though I am really not confident about this. There is no Scwarzschild radius in this question, but maybe a similar thing is happening?

What is it about B's velocity relative to A that causes the difference in observed wavelength?

Can anyone help me out here, I really need to understand this and I need to do it soon.
Thankyou.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
hi,
my exam is tomorrow and I really need to understand this.

Imagine a region of constant gravitational field, directed "downwards". There is a photon traveling in this downward direction. There are two observers, A and B. At t=0, they do not have any relative velocity. However, B is fixed in position, whilst A is in free-fall. At time t=0, the photon passes the two observers, and they make measurements - both of them agree on the wavelength at this time.
I need to figure out what wavelength B observes at a time t = 0 + T later.
I also should express this in terms of (some or all of): v,c,g,w and T
where v is the relative velocity of the observers, c is obviously the speed of light, g is the constant, uniform gravitational field, T is the time that has elapsed since A was released from rest, and w is the photon wavelength.
Also, the time T is small enough that the velocity v is always far, far smaller than c.

So, what I thought was that, since A is in free-fall, he is completely unaware of any gravitational field. That means that, as far as A is aware, the photon is not going to increase its energy (and therefore shorten its wavelength) due to this gravitational field.

B on the other hand is fixed in place, so that he would notice the photon blue shifting as it travels in the direction of the gravitational field. This means at time T, the wavelength he measures should be shorter than w.

Also, in time T, the relative velocity between the two observers has increased from v=0 to v=gT. The separation of the two observers would therefore be y = vT = gT2.

However, this is where I start to get stuck. All the stuff I have done with doppler shifts has involved light shining from a source, where the observer and the source have some relative motion. In this situation though, the source isn't mentioned, it's just a photon.
This got me thinking about Einstein's postulate of special relativity - that the speed of light for any two inertial observers is the same.

However, in this case, the observers are not inertial. In observer B's frame, he is stationary whilst A accelerates away from him. As a result I am confused about what assumptions I can make, as according to observer B, observer A is a non-inertial observer. Do I still say that they both percieve the same value of c?

I am leaning towards the answer to that being no, because of what I have heard in lectures about the way the speed of light appears to certain observers/coordinate systems to become zero as a photon approaches a black hole's Schwarzschild radius. I must say though I am really not confident about this. There is no Scwarzschild radius in this question, but maybe a similar thing is happening?

What is it about B's velocity relative to A that causes the difference in observed wavelength?

Can anyone help me out here, I really need to understand this and I need to do it soon.
Thankyou.

Have you gotten to the point where you can use the metric? If so start by writing out your metric. Also, if you can make any useful assumptions (such was weak gravity approximation) try that. If you haven't gotten to metrics yet, where are you so that I can offer a starting point?

1. What is the concept of "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers"?

The concept of "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers" refers to the observation that the wavelength of light can appear different to two different observers, depending on their relative motion. This is a key principle of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does relative motion affect the perceived wavelength of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the perceived wavelength of light is affected by the relative motion between the observer and the source of light. If the observer is moving towards the source of light, the wavelength will appear shorter, and if the observer is moving away from the source of light, the wavelength will appear longer.

3. Why does the perceived wavelength of light change with relative motion?

This change in the perceived wavelength of light is due to the phenomenon of time dilation, which occurs when objects are moving at high speeds. Time appears to pass slower for objects in motion, meaning that the wavelength of light appears shorter to an observer in motion compared to an observer at rest.

4. What is the significance of the "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers" concept?

The concept of "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers" is significant because it challenges our traditional understanding of space and time. It also helps to explain various observed phenomena, such as the redshift of light from distant galaxies and the behavior of particles at high speeds.

5. Are there any practical applications of the "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers" concept?

Yes, the concept of "Relativity - wavelength differences for two observers" has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it is used to study the behavior of light from distant objects. It also has applications in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communications, which rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately.