Substation Capacitor Bank Problem

In summary, an entire group of 11 capacitors on one phase of a 138kv shunt capacitor bank blew their fuses. The other groups on that phase were normal. Testing each capacitor showed they were "normal", but when refused all 11 and reenergized the capacitor bank, all 11 fuses blew.
Brad B
Hello everyone,

I'm no engineer, just a guy that works in the electrical industry. Today I was doing some substation switching on a 138kv shunt capacitor bank, which consists of 11 capacitors connected in parallel forming a group, then four of those groups connected in series per phase, making 44 total caps per phase. The three phases are then wye connected.

We were called out to repair said capacitor bank due to an imbalance lockout. Generally when this happens we find a single fuse has blown, we replace the capacitor and the fuse and away we go. Today we found that an entire group of 11 capacitors on one phase had blown their fuses, but the other groups on that phase were normal. We tested each capacitor, and they all seemed "normal", as in not shorted and capacitance matching nameplate values.

We refused all 11 and reenergized the capacitor bank and, yep, all 11 fuses blew. So, me being as green as I am, am not sure what would cause a single group to blow while leaving the rest of the phase untouched.

Anyone with any experience care to offer any insight? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even though I am not sure, it could be due to resonance between your capacitor bank and a nonlinear load connected to the same point. Since nonlinear load draw harmonic currents, resonance may happen at higher frequencies resulting in huge current and fuses may blow up.

Remove the capacitors, ship them to me.

Please don't take anything I say as an insult, I'm not sure of what you have tried to do to fix the situation.

Possible problems (that I can see):
- If the capacitors are electrolytic and polar, than the fuses could be installed to prevent the capacitors from being damaged when seeing a negative, or backwards, voltage across the terminals.

- The fuses may be in backwards, causing them to see a reverse, or negative, voltage.

- There may be a damaged connection where that set of eleven parallel capacitors is connecting in series with the other parallel capacitors which can cause, at such high voltages, an arc to form across a gap. Arcs approach infinite amounts of current, theoretically, and can easily cause a back-EMF (another form of reverse voltage) that can easily blow your fuses.

- Another thing that can cause an arc is just the wiring being in close proximity to something else conductive (metal casing, chair, really any form of metal).

Other than that, I wouldn't be sure without knowing more about the circuit.

On a side note, can you post the product # and manufacturer of those fuses?? I would really like to use them in a project I'm working on currently...

1. What is a Substation Capacitor Bank?

A Substation Capacitor Bank is a group of capacitors connected together in parallel and installed at a substation to provide reactive power support to the power grid. This helps in maintaining a stable voltage and reducing power losses in the transmission and distribution system.

2. What is the purpose of a Substation Capacitor Bank?

The main purpose of a Substation Capacitor Bank is to improve the power factor of the electrical system. This is achieved by compensating for the reactive power component of the load, which helps in reducing the overall power consumption and improving the efficiency of the system.

3. What are the common problems associated with Substation Capacitor Banks?

The most common problem associated with Substation Capacitor Banks is capacitor failure. This can be caused by overvoltage, overcurrent, or aging of the capacitors. Other problems include misoperation due to faulty control systems, incorrect sizing of the bank, and poor maintenance practices.

4. How can Substation Capacitor Bank problems be diagnosed?

Substation Capacitor Bank problems can be diagnosed through regular inspections, measurements of voltage and current, and using diagnostic tools such as power factor analyzers and thermal imaging cameras. These can help identify any abnormalities, such as high temperatures or unbalanced capacitor units, which may indicate a problem.

5. How can Substation Capacitor Bank problems be prevented?

Substation Capacitor Bank problems can be prevented by following proper maintenance procedures, such as regular inspections, cleaning, and testing. It is also important to ensure that the bank is correctly sized for the load and that the control system is functioning properly. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.